 CAD / Development / 6775
Re: LCD - LEGO Connection Database - Proposal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 17:37:43 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
.
.

.

Another example of potential insufficient connectability language richness
has to do with depth of the female end. For example, the minifig hips. These
have special studs which are more than the normal height. If we do not
distinguish between plate and brick "depth" in the connector type we do not
have a way to tell that these hips WILL plug all the way into a brick but
will only PARTLY plug into a plate (similarly for the double height studs on
"monorail" stanchion bases)

Hi,

I first have to admit that I haven't read the whole proposal. However
from what I have read, and the comments, I'm starting to think that
what is being proposed is more of a standalone database that is popu
lated with connection data for each and every LEGO element. I can see
the merits of such a database especially for realworld builders.

I on the other hand, in my theorizing on this for the code I'm trying
to write (and while I was originally reading the proposal) had
soemthing different in mind. I was envisioning extending the DAT file
format so that part authors could encode the locations of the
'hot spots' (the studs and sockets, etc.) directly in the part file.
In this case all that would be needed outside the part file is a
definitive list of the different types of 'studs' and 'sockets' and
which types of the other kind they can connect to.

At the moment I can't see why anything that could be done with one
method couldn't be done with the other so I'm not sure of the pro's
and cons of either method. Also I'm relatively new to LDraw
programming, and I think I missed earlier discussions, so if this
has all been talked about already let me know.

-Kyle

--
                                    _