 CAD / Development / 6779
Re: LCD - LEGO Connection Database - Proposal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 21:18:09 GMT

I think your comment is correct, the connectability needs to encompass a
minifig hat on a standard stud... where there may be weakness in their
terminology is that they handle fields of studs as one... and while a
minifig hat will NOT fit onto a 2x2 brick, it WILL fit onto a 1x1 or at
least onto a 1x1 round.

However I don't see the authors as having stated that they were definitively
correct in the examples they gave, they were trying to lay groundwork for an
approach. To the extent that working specific examples helps highlight
places where the connectability language isn't expressive, that's great, but
I would not (and I think you *are* not, but I think it needs explication for
others) fault them for inconsistencies or omissions in their examples.

Correct.  I was not faulting the authors.  I only intended to point out that
the  community needs to work with them to flesh out the model.

I hate to throw in jargon and buzzwords into a discussion, but we will need to
either build or adopt an ontology (if one exists, please point me to it) for
the various Lego(tm) bricks and parts that have been modeled if we want to
extend and adopt (or adopt and extend) this work.  What we are talking about
creating are object models of bricks and parts with properties (shape,
dimensions, surface markings, connection points, behaviors -- slide, rotation,
etc., ....)  This leads me to the conclusion that we need an ontology.

Another example of potential insufficient connectability language richness
has to do with depth of the female end. For example, the minifig hips. These
have special studs which are more than the normal height. If we do not
distinguish between plate and brick "depth" in the connector type we do not
have a way to tell that these hips WILL plug all the way into a brick but
will only PARTLY plug into a plate (similarly for the double height studs on
"monorail" stanchion bases)