 CAD / Development / 6780
Re: LCD - LEGO Connection Database - Proposal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 21:25:03 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Tim Courtney writes:
A note worthy of some serious consideration, I got a priavte email from Jude
Beaudin, who suggested the name might infringe on LEGO's interests.  He
suggested the project be renamed to 'LDraw Connection Database' instead,
preserving the acronym and making it more accurate.  Its a connection
database for the parts in the LDraw library.

Thoughts?

Is it restricted in applicability to just LDraw parts? (that is, if there
were a competing parts format, could the idea be applicable? Could the
database (perhaps with coordinate transformation) itself?

Is there a contemporaneous format to which LCD could apply? (honest question)

If it's not restricted (and I think it's not) then I don't see using LDraw
in the name. It DOES get around using LEGO(r), but that isn't necessarily
bad, is it?

LEGO is sensitive about the use of their name. [No different than GoB(tm)]

What does LDraw stand for, after all?

I think it now stands for LDraw, formerly it was something like LEGO Draw.
Kinda like I work at EDS, formerly Electronic Data Systems, but now it
stands for EDS.

I just want to try to save us[1] a future hassel if possible.

Jude

[1] users of LDraw