 CAD / Development / 6787
Re: LCD - LEGO Connection Database - Proposal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 04:53:16 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Jude Beaudin writes:
Is there a contemporaneous format to which LCD could apply? (honest question)

I would assume BlockCAD.  Anton?

Though compatibility problems might arise if my assumption is correct about
center points on parts - if LCD is (and I believe it most definitely will
be) designed around the LDraw library, and that is a factor, an extra step
(conversion table) would have to be made to make LCD compatible with
BlockCAD or another format.

Again, if my assumption is incorrect, forget what I just said. ;-)

If it's not restricted (and I think it's not) then I don't see using LDraw
in the name. It DOES get around using LEGO(r), but that isn't necessarily
bad, is it?

LEGO is sensitive about the use of their name. [No different than GoB(tm)]

Hee.  Yep, you're right.

What does LDraw stand for, after all?

I think it now stands for LDraw, formerly it was something like LEGO Draw.
Kinda like I work at EDS, formerly Electronic Data Systems, but now it
stands for EDS.

James originally coined the name to mean 'LEGO Draw.'  And it does still
mean that - the LDraw.org caretakers - myself, Steve, Jacob, Terry, are
committed to LEGO.  The parts libraries won't officially release any clone
parts - we realize we can't prevent people from making clone parts in the
format, but we don't have to sanction them officially.

So, I believe it still stands for 'LEGO Draw.'  We just can't use 'LEGO' in
the name, for obvious reasons.

-Tim