 CAD / Development / 6796
Re: LCD - LEGO Connection Database - Proposal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 17:53:49 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

I think that was the intent of the authors.

Hmm.  I read this as "Larry thinks LAD and KACS meant for the LCD data
to go *in* the DAT files".  But reading section 1.2,
<http://www.ldraw.org/reference/specs/lcd/#1.2.>, makes it clear that
the data is intended to be position in files outside the DATs.

Right. That wasn't what I was trying to say at all. I wasn't talking about
format. What I was getting at was that the data (wherever it lives) was
intended to be used for driving programs to make things snap into place, not
just for doing analysis of possible connections standalone which was what I
was riffing about.

But the bottom line is that some data can go in the DAT files, and some
could/should/needs to be in external files.

Can ANY of it go into DAT files without major pain? I think it may all need
to be lookaside based on extensibility.

The position/orientation/size information should be in (or 'beside') the
DATs, the connection definitions should be external.  We could repeat
the definition information in each file (or in each hotspot), but I
don't see a good purpose for that...