 CAD / Development / 6765
Re: LCD - LEGO Connection Database - Proposal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 23:19:29 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Larry Pieniazek writes:

This is VERY significant work. Building this knowledge into modeling tools
would be awesome. People in the past have hinted at ways of doing this and
at the vast and powerful new ways of analysing things that would result.

Yup! :-)

I personally am fascinated by all the different ways that things can
interconnect and if this database were created, one could envision running
automated searches of ways to interconnect that perhaps had not been
actually thought of before (think of something like feeding the anagram
server some useful or interesting letters and seeing what pops out). Talk
about your boon to SNOT builders!

Never thought of it that way.  In that case, it would go beyond the primary
goal of making parts connectable in the editing of a model file.

Who do we send nits and corrections to... discuss here or direct to them?

For now, discuss here.

(Their example "minifig waist" probably should be "minifig wrist" as it
talks about the pin on a hand that fits into the lower end of an arm... that
seems wrist-ish to me... further in their minifig on skis example I would
argue that the hips to torso connection is not a normal stud-stud inlet as
the stud has extra height, also that there)

You are right.  I fixed the error.

YES, I want to see this taken farther. Amazing work, a very well thought out
starting point! Kudos to these authors, whoever they are (By: Láng Attila D.
(LAD) and Kiss Attila Csongor (KACS))!!!

A couple of people from Hungary, they were both unknown to me until
yesterday when I got the email.  Needless to say, I'm impressed with their
debut into the community :-)  (Keep it up guys!!)

-Tim