 CAD / Development / 6781
Re: LCD - LEGO Connection Database - Proposal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 21:59:36 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Kyle McDonald writes:
      At first glance, my preference (whatever *that's*
worth :) would be to code it up in the DAT file itself. I mean
if you just add a stud 'hotspot' to all the stud primitives,
you'd be a good ways along toward this goal - Ok so that leaves
only the hard stuff but....

OK, I see where you're at on that. Yes... it would be nice to just put it in
the DAT file itself.

Huge advantage to that is that it's there. No need for clunky lookaside
files to correlate against.

Huge disadvantage of course is that the DAT format has proven relatively
hard to change. Lookaside files mean that people can adopt as they see fit...

But in either case that begs the completness problem. What do you (the tool
author) do during the transition period when not all parts have this info?
Some snap and some don't??? Seems clunky. But that's just an implementation
detail. Don't bore me with practical details, I'm making castles in the sky
about how cool this is. :-)

And yes, the idea of being able to do range of motion and joint driven
animations is tres cool. Makes the animation problem a lot more tractable
when you're already in a world that's constrained correctly.