 CAD / Development / 6778
Re: LCD - LEGO Connection Database - Proposal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 20:43:30 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

I think that was the intent of the authors. When you get a chance to read
the whole thing (and you should make yourself some clear time with no
distractions, it's fairly intense reading but worth it) you'll see that they
speak of things "snapping" into place because the things (or the programs
working them) know where to connect to. So it IS intended for use by
modeling programs (and part authors would INDEED encode the conectivity hot
spots).

Oh. I hope so. That makes more sense (at least in my head.)
From some of what I read though, I got the impression that the
modelling tool was supposed to get the geometry from the DAT
file, but lookup the connectivity of the part in some other
database. At first glance, my preference (whatever *that's*
worth :) would be to code it up in the DAT file itself. I mean
if you just add a stud 'hotspot' to all the stud primitives,
you'd be a good ways along toward this goal - Ok so that leaves
only the hard stuff but....

I'm just working the riff to see what else it's good for. Don't read too
much into MY analysis.

And it's good for a lot, i think. If you can't tell I'm pretty excited by
this proposal. It's not completely groundbreaking per se. Todd Lehman did
some thinking in this area years ago. The paper for a complete greenfield
reimplementation of the CAD toolset (who the author was escapes me... was
the project called "arcadia"???) touches on it.

I remember that but I hadn't started my project so it pretty
much went in one ear and out the other. :)

Slightly tangentially, I thought of another kind of connectivity descriptor:
"tightness" or whether it's a gripping connectivity or merely a restraining
one. Most are gripping, but consider the example of those double high
minifig torso pegs. If you plug those into a plate, they are restrained from
sliding around in the plate's plane, but are not constrained from being
removed, nothing grips them in place, as they are too small for the female
stud to grip. (I think. I may be misremembering)

This would be good. I'd like something that can describe

joints or pivot points. I mean the grey technic pins are
made to move. Whereas the blackones are supposed to be
tight and rigid. The Hinge connectors should be moveable
also. Especially with the Animation direction many people
are moving in, It'd be nice to load up a model and be able
to retrieve all of it's 'pivot points' (possibly with
mathematical, programatical, or logical relationships) and
the animation tool could present those points for
manipulation vs. time in some sort of 'movie script'.

-Kyle

--
                                    _