 CAD / Development / 6808
Re: LCD - LEGO Connection Database - Proposal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 01:14:22 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Kyle McDonald wrote:

This would be good. I'd like something that can describe
joints or pivot points.

Hmm.  Interesting.  Compare and contrast various types of connections:
cross-axles (can't rotate), click-hinges (rotate freely, but with 'sweet
spots'), plate hinges (rotate freely).

Steve

Just my two cents on this - I would enjoy seeing the work being discussed
here and the project, to be split into two versions (at least). A "version
1" would contain the data necessary to provide the "snap" information for
the placing of bricks (connectors), and the "version 2" looking to add
information about the connection (like the amount of friction involved in a
connection). With the goal of the LCD "file" format to be extensible enough
that work on Version 2 will not break applications that are written to
Version 1 format (some of that is in the implementation of the
applications/editors, unless the LCD will provide a set of programmatic
helper classes to get the data).

Splitting the additional "goals" of LCD mentioned here into two versions can
help get V1 going sooner, with a faster ROI in the users eye (IMO). Version
1 provides enough info to allow apps to place and connect bricks together.
This will help apps be more productive to the general user. Version 2 can
provide enough info to allow apps to provide advance features (while still
helping the general user) such as animation, manipulation, and other data
about a connection (or other advance features - like a rubber band elasticity).

Thoughts? I would recommend a new group under cad.dev related to LCD - to
help keep the flow of info manageable - maybe even a V1 and V2 set of groups
under LCD. Again, just my opinion.

My thoughts are from my software development experience and challenges that
occur.

-mark