 Off-Topic / Debate / 26183
Re: Is religion dead in the water?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 2004 18:14:58 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
   It is entirely dependent on approach. I’ve seen atheists who approach it as a religion, and others that do not. Generally, the more strident and absolutist an atheist is, the more it approaches a religion. The more dispassionate and scientific it is, the more the religion tag fails.

...until it becomes agnosticism, the only true non-religion. The fundamental difference between atheists and agnostics is that atheism, like all religions, makes firm dogmatic claims regarding the existence of a supernatural being and the creation of the universe. Agnosticism only declares, “Nothing has been proven, so I don’t know,” and leaves it at that.

   I would call the modern miconception of agnosticism as “maybe there is a God or maybe there isn’t”, which is simply indecision and not agnosticism (which seems to be what you are saying in your elaboration, which doesn’t seem to match your original definition in quotes).

That still fits within true agnosticism. It’s perhaps a less pessimistic stance than Huxley’s, but it still leaves you standing on the 0-point of religion. Modern agnosticism, which is what I paraphrased in quotes, is the offshoot of people who, apparently not really understanding what it means to be an agnostic, apply that term to themselves while they sample various organized religions until they find the one they like the most. They think it’s a fancy way of saying they’re “undecided”.