 Off-Topic / Debate / 26229
Re: Is lgbt dead in the water? & Is religion dead in the water?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 19:33:25 GMT

So my friend and I were talking the other day about Clarke, Asimov, Chalker,
Heinlen, etc...

Can anyone name a really good science-fiction author that was born, say, after
1960?

Neal Stephenson (Snow Crash, The Diamond Age. Both in my top 20) almost meets
your requirement (b. October 31, 1959)

Greg Egan (b. 1961) seem to be fairly well respected (won a Hugo and John W.
Campbell Memorial Award).  I haven't read anything by him though.

Neil Gaiman (b. 1960) has done some great grphic novel work.

J. K. Rowling (b. 1964) speaks for herself

Kevin J. Anderson (b. 1962) has done excellent work with Brian Herbert on the
Dune series

But I got to thinking.  If you were born in 1960 you'd be 44 right now.  I also
noticed that a lot of very good authors were born in the late 40's and the 50's
making them 55-65 years old.  This seems to make sense to me as it is really
hard to make a living as a popular fiction writer and one might want to wait
until they have a stable homelife before taking up writing full time.  Also it
takes a while before you're noticed/respected (e.g. how many Stphen King fans
were there around the time he released Carrie) and some writers do a lot of
short stories (which aren't as widely read) before progressing on to novels.

-Orion