 Off-Topic / Debate / 26207
Re: Is lgbt dead in the water? & Is religion dead in the water?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 15:24:11 GMT

   This is where your fallacy lies. Since you ‘live the science’ you can’t accept that there might be something outside the science, today or even in the future. You can’t accept the ‘magic’ that may be in the system.

Instead, you’re asking us to accept on faith the claim that something supernatural might exist. I do not accept that claim on faith; if you have evidence of this “something outside the science,” then by all means let’s see it! .
It’s not sufficient to say “we don’t understand X therefore X must be magic.” That’s nothing more than argument from ignorance (aka God of the Gaps). In order to make a claim that magic, or a soul, or a divine hand is at work in a given system, one must provide evidence that this is the case. Lacking such evidence, the best one can offer is a leap of faith, which some people (like me, for instance) reject as an explanatory model of the universe.

Right.

“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic”
  1. Arthur C. Clarke
Or something like that. This argument of Dave K’s strikes me as a variant of the Designer argument, at least in some ways.