 Off-Topic / Debate / 26175
Re: Is lgbt dead in the water?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 2004 16:15:59 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Laswell wrote:
   Many people view atheism as a belief system rather than a religion. Your points still stand, nonetheless, but I did want to point it out.

What is a religion, if not a “belief system”? Just because atheism is not an organized religion doesn’t mean it’s not a religion at all.

Dictionary.com gives a serviceable definition of religion, a definition with which I find myself in general agreement. In casual parlance I would pare it down a little further to say that religion entails the worship of and/or positive belief in one or more supernatural forces, entities, or phenomena. By these criteria atheism is not a religion.

In the interest of disclosure, however, I must admit that I do not accept the Dictionary.com definition of atheism, though I do agree with entry 2 under the definition shown on that same page from Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary.

I recall our previous discussion on this subject, of course, so we needn’t go through all of that again!

Dave!