 Off-Topic / Debate / 26157
Re: Is lgbt dead in the water?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 2004 22:48:14 GMT

   In lugnet.people.lgbt, Lee Meyer wrote:

   However, tolerance does not mean we accept or affirm or approve of their views. It is illogical to say to someone, ‘I disagree with your view, but I also accept and approve of your view.’ No, tolerance is that we hold our own view to be the correct one, but recognize another’s freedom to have a different view - just don’t expect me to support your view if I believe you are wrong. You are confusing tolerance with approval, and so your claim of intolerance just doesn’t wash with me.

True tolerance entails the recognition that one’s own views are not inherently or absolutely correct, but are instead correct for oneself, and perhaps very strongly held. Attendant upon this is the realization that other people’s views might be correct for them and equally strongly held.

You say that “tolerance is that we hold our own view to be the correct one, but recognize another’s freedom to have a different view.” That’s simply incorrect, IMO. In essence, you’re saying “I’m actually right, but if you want to pretend that you’re right, then that’s fine.” That’s an aggressively smug position to take, by the way.

   As far as being misinformed, I would love to hear just what I am misinformed about. Give me a little more than a one sentence hack at me.

Misinformed? I don’t know--I’ll reread your posts and get back to you on that. However, I would mention that you have a seriously flawed and self-serving notion of tolerance, and I suppose that this notion may result from your being misinformed.

Dave!

Hi Dave, well I certainly can tell by your views you are a moral relativist from your distorted definition of tolerance. There are absolutes in the world. Moral, logical absolutes. There are universal truths that apply to everyone, across all times and places and circumstances. Murder is always wrong. Two plus two is always four. You cannot simultaneously be both for and against the same side of an issue and be right on both sides.

Just tell me if you are positive, without any doubt whatsoever, that there are no moral absolutes, a easy yes or no answer.

The fact that you hold such a strong moral view on what you believe tolerance is shows that you too are susceptible to believing in absolutes. You certainly seem to think you are much more correct than I am. I would simply throw your own argument back at you and say, How can you be sure you’re correct? Why should I trust your view over mine when you preface your statements that you think is right for you, could be wrong for me? Maybe you shouldn’t be criticizing my view because it could very well be right for me. And maybe you should stop thinking I shouldn’t share it with others because others may see it and say it is right for them, too. If all viewpoints are relative, I have as much right to state mine and convince others my view is one they should have, too. Just like you do.

Lee