 Off-Topic / Debate / 26223
Re: ( (Good SF authors) != (young SF authors) ) ??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 18:02:46 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kyle McDonald wrote:
David Koudys wrote:

So my friend and I were talking the other day about Clarke, Asimov, Chalker,
Heinlen, etc...

Can anyone name a really good science-fiction author that was born, say, after
1960?

How about Orson Scott Card.

Born in 1951, I think.(1)

Ender's game, and many other very good
  (in My opinion anyway) Sci-Fi books. Not too dry, and not too
much (but enough) science.

Some people (2) really like him. (3) Some people find him a bit too preachy.

++Lar

1 - so does http://www.fact-index.com/o/or/orson_scott_card.html

2 - me for instance. I usually have a preachyness detector but his mormonness
doesn't come through strongly enough to be annoying for me. YMMV

3 - unless he's on a "getting paid by the word" jag again ...(4)

4 - like in the last book of the _memory of earth_ series (5)

5 - OK, last TWO books (6)

6 - OK, the whole series... all 5 of them. Could have been done in 3.