 Off-Topic / Debate / 26174
Re: Is religion dead in the water?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 2004 15:57:49 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Laswell wrote:
   Many people view atheism as a belief system rather than a religion. Your points still stand, nonetheless, but I did want to point it out.

What is a religion, if not a “belief system”? Just because atheism is not an organized religion doesn’t mean it’s not a religion at all.

It is entirely dependent on approach. I’ve seen atheists who approach it as a religion, and others that do not. Generally, the more strident and absolutist an atheist is, the more it approaches a religion. The more dispassionate and scientific it is, the more the religion tag fails. Science is not a “belief” system, it is a non-belief system - everything must be proved, and not accepted (believed) on faith.

   I’ll go farther, and state that I feel that people who consistently call atheism a religion are, in my view, exhibiting a false understanding of the nature of religion. I suspect (without proof) that you were shortcutting rather than that you actually hold that belief.

You must have missed my lengthy discussion with Mr. Schuler regarding the fundamental differences between atheism, agnosticism, and Unitarianism/Universalism. The only areligious state is to be a true agnostic (by the original definition, not the modern “I believe in god, but I can’t decide which one” version), where you have not firmly decided against the possibility of a supernatural power, but you refuse to accept any of them as being real without concrete proof. When you’re a true atheist, you have clear beliefs regarding supernatural powers and their role in the origin of the universe. As I said then, there is a big difference between not believing in any god and believing in not-god.

I would call the modern miconception of agnosticism as “maybe there is a God or maybe there isn’t”, which is simply indecision and not agnosticism (which seems to be what you are saying in your elaboration, which doesn’t seem to match your original definition in quotes).

-->Bruce<--