 Off-Topic / Debate / 26230
Re: Is lgbt dead in the water? & Is religion dead in the water?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 01:54:17 GMT

Can anyone name a really good science-fiction author that was born, say,
after 1960?

Hmm, C.S. Friedman was born in '57, so she's out.  But don't let that stop you
from reading her work.

I dunno, maybe it's me but most sci-fi writers seem to attach their boat to a
chain, like Star Trek or Star Wars these days.

And J. Gregory Keyes (now going by Greg Keyes), while an excellent fantasy
author, has only written sci-fi for SW:NJO and B5 thus far.  He did shed a
little light on this tendancy in an interview done around the time the NJO
series was wrapping.  Authors only make money if their books sell, and their
books only sell if people think they'll be worth reading.  Writing for a major
IP like Star Wars is a quick way of earning wide name recognition because most
people will read it for the setting/theme/characters/etc. regardless of whose
name is stamped on it (well, unless they either _really_ like or _really_ hate
that particular author).

Another possible factor here is that the film industry meshed with sci-fi
storytelling a lot earlier than it did with fantasy storytelling.  I've noticed
that there are a lot more recent sci-fi movies than fantasy movies, but the
reverse is true for novels.  Maybe people who could have made good sci-fi
novelists just went straight into the film industry instead.