 Off-Topic / Debate / 26210
Re: Is lgbt dead in the water? & Is religion dead in the water?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 16:48:21 GMT

This is where your fallacy lies.  Since you 'live the science' you can't
accept that there might be something outside the science, today or even in
the future. You can't accept the 'magic' that may be in the system.

Instead, you're asking us to accept on faith the claim that something
supernatural might exist.  I do not accept that claim on faith; if you have
evidence of this "something outside the science," then by all means let's
see it!  . ¬It's not sufficient to say "we don't understand X therefore X
must be magic."  That's nothing more than argument from ignorance (aka God
of the Gaps). In order to make a claim that magic, or a soul, or a divine
hand is at work in a given system, one must provide evidence that this is
the case. Lacking such evidence, the best one can offer is a leap of faith,
which some people (like me, for instance) reject as an explanatory model of
the universe.

Right.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

- Arthur C. Clarke

Also in Babylon 5 with the Technomages.

:)

Love that JMS...

So my friend and I were talking the other day about Clarke, Asimov, Chalker,
Heinlen, etc...

Can anyone name a really good science-fiction author that was born, say, after
1960?

I dunno, maybe it's me but most sci-fi writers seem to attach their boat to a
chain, like Star Trek or Star Wars these days.

ANyway, throwing it out there 'cause I'm reading Clancy right now but want to
get back into some good sci-fi without rereading 'the classics'.

Dave K