 Off-Topic / Debate / 26147
Re: Is lgbt dead in the water?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 2004 13:43:20 GMT

In lugnet.people.lgbt, Lee Meyer wrote:

   However, tolerance does not mean we accept or affirm or approve of their views. It is illogical to say to someone, ‘I disagree with your view, but I also accept and approve of your view.’ No, tolerance is that we hold our own view to be the correct one, but recognize another’s freedom to have a different view - just don’t expect me to support your view if I believe you are wrong. You are confusing tolerance with approval, and so your claim of intolerance just doesn’t wash with me.

True tolerance entails the recognition that one’s own views are not inherently or absolutely correct, but are instead correct for oneself, and perhaps very strongly held. Attendant upon this is the realization that other people’s views might be correct for them and equally strongly held.

You say that “tolerance is that we hold our own view to be the correct one, but recognize another’s freedom to have a different view.” That’s simply incorrect, IMO. In essence, you’re saying “I’m actually right, but if you want to pretend that you’re right, then that’s fine.” That’s an aggressively smug position to take, by the way.

   As far as being misinformed, I would love to hear just what I am misinformed about. Give me a little more than a one sentence hack at me.

Misinformed? I don’t know--I’ll reread your posts and get back to you on that. However, I would mention that you have a seriously flawed and self-serving notion of tolerance, and I suppose that this notion may result from your being misinformed.

Dave!