 Off-Topic / Debate / 26148
Re: It didn't have to be this way....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 2004 08:25:10 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz wrote:
Larry Pieniazek wrote:

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/columns/pressingissues_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000650551

Interesting read. One thought I have though... Would the situation truly be
any better if Sadam had got out of power any other way? Part of what is
happening is the power vacuum that results from elimination of a despot.

…a despot who was explicitly supported by the West.

The
rest of the problem is that there is a certain element that can gain power
by recruiting dupes into opposing the West (and the US in particular). They
just have to convincingly blame all the worlds problems on the West.

Some of the world's problems do lie at the feet of the "West".

And
then the dupes will go out and bomb the targets they have been told to (even
when the target doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the West

I understand your point. However, we should not make the mistake of believing
that those who violently oppose the occupation of Iraq are irrational. I expect
many believe they are fighting to protect their freedom and way of life. It just
may not be our version of “freedom” that is all. After all, we did have a war to
defend “freedom” in Q8 15 years ago… and women still don’t have a vote there.

- I
bet some of the Palestinians that get murdered by their fellows as being
"collaborators" are not really collaborators, they just happened to piss off
someone in power).

Just like how SH became a problem only when he stopped being useful?

In this end this is incredible proof that you just can't hand people
democracy. People need to want and believe in democracy themselves. And they
have to be willing to fight for it.

We must not forget that from their perspective "democracy" in the west supplied
them with decades of suffering and has brought about the destruction of
Palestine…. Neither of which is easy to forget(?).

Scott A

Frank