 Off-Topic / Debate / 26200
Re: Is lgbt dead in the water? & Is religion dead in the water?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 2004 05:49:47 GMT

You know, for a time now I have wanted this whole thing to go away and stop appearing on the main news page, for you see, I have a terrible weakness: a great fascination in philosophy. So, this whole discussion was honey to me and I was having a hard time refusing it. Well, we all know what happened now, don’t we.

I must admit that I am very amused with all of this. First, that such a discussion is found on a website for fans of little plastic toy bricks meant to unlock the imagination. And second, that a discussion about a community developed within the greater Lego Toy community for the purpose of giving certain individuals a haven for their discussions, as they feel that the outside macro-society persecusion has trickled into this micro-cosm society, has developed into debates about metaphysics.

Did I say that right? Does it make sense? It’s kind of late and I need to stay to my main thought... here goes.

There will always be religion. Religion has always throughout time served a real and functional social purpose in all societies. In the absence of religion, societies or individuals have developed some sort of alternative idea or belief or distraction that fills the gap that religion served. And what is that service rendered to societies by religions or cosmological ideas? Well there are several. The first involves the best example for absolute, non-reltivistic, occurences in our lives -- Death. Yep, it will happen no matter what you do. And, as the vast majority of humanity and the knowledge puttering around inside our amazing biochemical brains depends solely on data and reality acquired through the course of this biochemical life, then death is the ultimate end of our existence. It is the end of every laugh, love, kiss, cry, pain, fear, hurt, taste of food, smile, sunshine on our faces, ten mile jog, whatever, that we have experienced.

A lot of people find this very depressing when they stop to think about it.

So, the reassuring thought that death is not the end is a nice thought. But how would that work? Well, a transformation into a non dying state of being would be in order. Okay, but then what? Well, everything we know to be real, i.e. corporeal, had to have come from somewhere -- that will be where we return.

Well, this goes on for a while, but eventually you get an idea for a religion that has an everlasting afterlife and even explains where it all began. Next stop is of course the clock maker, that being who/what made it all and set it into being.

There are of course other social functions and social unity that religions/profane ideas provide for what we humans crave. Example, we crave to think that we are masters of our seemingly chaotic surroundings in a seemingly chaotic universe and that we are so much more than smart monkeys. Also, we love the fantastic and crave meaning. This is of course starts to run into the whole secular/profane debate, but we psychological like to feel that everything makes sense and is according to a sort of design or order. Science, after all, seeks to know, seeks to make sense of what we don’t know. If science replaces religion, then it is providing that which religion once did. But, that takes the fantastical out of it so unless science starts providing the extraordinary (the spice of life), then we humans will find ways to fill that gap.

By the way, all of my ideas here are greatly boiled down for space consideration. Little elaboration allowed.

But, there is the whole thing that our thoughts, our beauty, goes so far beyond simple biochemical reactions. If we only had biochemical reactions, then why are we not like the animals and other life forms around us? Sure, we are heavily influenced by biochemical chemistry -- sex appeal/drive, instinct, illness, etc. But, we have the power to overcome it with our minds. We have the ability to exceed the sum of our parts. How is that scientifically possible? (Rhetorical question) We can so easily deny ourselves but eventually after all that doubting away we find that there is still something there doing the doubting. There is still something there, a mostly untapped potential, that can give us the extraordinary that we so often crave.

So, where does that come from? How can we rise to be more than a sum of our parts? Is not 2 + 2 = 4? Maybe there are some fascinating biochemical reactions that we have not studied yet?

If we deny the human ability to overcome the mundane physical, then we deny all of our great accomplishments. Such as, music, art, the atom bomb (that was a woozy), civilization, doughnuts, language, laughter, and the list goes on.

There is nothing in nature that points to the rise of this specialness. If using tools or burying the dead or caring for our young provided the answer, then we would not be alone in terms of sentient species on this planet. Yet, we humans, whatever shape, size, color, skeleton, etc. that we come in, are alone. And that too is a depressing thought that religions answer.

So, there are some pretty good reasons why religion in some form or another will always be around. But, what is this whole idea of a deity? What is this whole idea of the supernatural? Religions and cosmological ideas don’t have to involve anything outside of the extraordinary found here on Earth such as a pretty sunset or music or art that provides powerful emotions, yet they often do. We just can’t seem to get away from those ideas.

I once read a story. There was a circle who lived in the second dimension. He lived a happy life with all of the other simple two dimensional shapes on their two dimensional plane of existence. Then, one day he was abducted by beings from the third dimension. They gave him the form of a third dimensional being and he was able to look down upon all of his friends and their two dimensional existence. He was transfigured into a sphere. He of course went through total mind shock at the thought of this new dimension. It was so totally beyond anything that he could have imagined! Parallel lines that are not straight but never intersect. Multi-faceted beings. Movement in whole new directions, you know, all that 3-D stuff. It was glorious as his mind began to comprehend the existence and the possibilities of this new dimension. Then, he thought how great it would be to go back and tell all of his friends about it. So he asked to go back, and the 3-D’s took him back. But not a single 2-D person believed him as it was so strange, so far beyond their reality and their existence. They thought him mad for the gibberish he spoke about this 3-D that they had never, and probably would never, experience. Then, circle called to be taken back to 3-D, and he was. And, in a great thought, he asked the 3-D beings, what dimension was beyond the 3rd dimension. They looked at him quizically and said, there is nothing beyond this dimension, it is absurd to think so, and they went on with their happy everyday 3-D lives.

I like to think that the supernatural is a lot like this. We are the 2-D beings in our happy, tangible, five senses, data in - data out world. And then, some of us get a brief glimpse of something even greater that is beyond our 2-D perception. And then we argue about this 3-D reality in our poor, limited 2-D vocabulary and our poor 2-D minds/knowledge. Maybe our ability to overcome the sum of our parts comes from the fact that there is a little bit inherent in us that is outside of this, like some subconcious dream voice quietly letting us know that we are something more, because we come from something more.

Maybe not. But, as sure as we try to answer the question of death, so too are we always struggling with the question of life. And, the question of who/what we are. Sometimes, we just can’t answer these questions with what we have available to us and we have to look at it from a different perspective altogether. And, sometimes we are happier with a much simpler idea.

My own beliefs... well, I belong to no church or organized man made religion, yet I am a stout Christian. I am not a cult of one, nor do I find definition or justification in others. I do find love and service in others, as I try to give to others. I would not be labeled by modern political correct terms as tolerant or moral relativist. I do put forth that we all have the mind capacity to think whatever we want to think, either to our betterment or ruin (think atom bomb). Which is why I do not see God as being a construct or our social/personal desires or needs. God is real. Take that for whatever you want, but He makes himself real to those who search Him out. Making automatons does not engender Love. Having others that are almost like Him come unto Him through all that there is shows a strong tried and true Love.

Well, I will quit there since my main thought was on the social function of religions. I don’t want to get into a theological debate as I find it inane, and I have no wish to join them -- the churches that is. I just thought I would throw in my own as that seems to let others know where the author is coming from so they can deny these thoughts as they wish.

P.S. I know using God in this debate is to some people like using the same word in the definition of itself, but I like to look at it like this. Each and every person’s reality, and what they make and understand of it, derives out of their experiences. For some, those experiences are of the tangible, mundane and easily repeatable. In fact, we all have those experiences. Even then, some of us have stuck a fork in a power socket, and others have not. But, there are some of us who have gone beyond the ordinary and, for whatever reason, have broadened their experience. They have included senses and data that requires either great feats, or great inspiration to accomplish. They have used that little bit of something extra in us all to learn of something greater. And, it too is the same. When we try to use the ordinary to figure it out, then we come out with different results according to each person’s different ordinary experiences (example, different notions of God and truth and morals). But when we put aside our limited 2-D selves and open ourselves to the 3-D, then we come to know something far greater than that which we can touch in this time and space.

Time so stop, Avery Christy