 Off-Topic / Debate / 26234
Re: ( (Good SF authors) != (young SF authors) ) ??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 03:31:46 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kyle McDonald wrote:
How about Orson Scott Card. Ender's game, and many other very good
  (in My opinion anyway) Sci-Fi books. Not too dry, and not too
much (but enough) science.

I tried reading one of the Alvin Maker series a while back, and I just could not
get into it at all.  Aside from that, the only OSC books I've ever touched were
in the Ender series.  I wouldn't want to say that he's a good sci-fi author in
general, but I do heartily recommend the Ender series (7 books, 4 short stories,
with an 8th book forthcoming).  You can get a tast of it by reading the original
Ender's Game short story here:

http://www.hatrack.com/osc/stories/enders-game.shtml

Those who have already read the full-length novel might find it an interesting
read just to see how many characters and plot-points changed when he expanded
the text.