 Off-Topic / Debate / 26160
Re: Is lgbt dead in the water?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 2004 05:11:20 GMT

   Maybe you shouldn’t be criticizing my view because it could very well be right for me. And maybe you should stop thinking I shouldn’t share it with others because others may see it and say it is right for them, too. If all viewpoints are relative, I have as much right to state mine and convince others my view is one they should have, too. Just like you do.

Lee

Lee, this is an interesting argument against moral relativism - but I doubt Dave is arguing on behalf of moral relativisim. You have assign this belief to him, and then proceeded to attack that belief, all the while you ignore the discussion at hand (the issue being your continued use of offensive and demeaning words).

I think Dave is arguing that “tolerance” does have a firm meaning. Tolerance may be very similiar to cultural relativism. But a rationale that attacks cultural relativism does not also redefine tolerance. Tolerance means what it means, and Dave’s definition is accurate.

-Lenny