 Off-Topic / Debate / 26184
Re: Halloween vs. the Bible Belt
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 2004 23:14:17 GMT

   Those that have a problem with Hallowe’en should have a problem with it no matter the day of the week.

I’ve actually known a few people who fall into that category, and, despite the fact that the Christian church tried to annex Halloween (remember All Saints’ Day, the day after Samhain?) and basically failed (especially when compared to the relative success of Easter vs Spring Equinox festivals and Christmas vs Winter Solstice festivals), I figure that’s their business, and I respect their beliefs. So, while I continued to help turn the basement of the dorm into a one-night Haunted House, I didn’t harrass any of my friends and neighbors who declined to help for religious reasons. And I appreciated the fact that none of them ever harrassed us for turning the basement into a “den of pagan devil worship” or somesuch.

   Sending little Johnny dressed up as ‘the devil’ on Saturday is okay, but don’t do it on Sunday??? Yeah, that makes sense.

Some people get really weird about their religion. A relative of mine once decried the first Harry Potter film for being satanist propoganda because it was written by an atheist (turns out Rowling acknowledged faith in God during an interview a year or two ago, though I’m not sure which faith she follows), and because it teaches kids to believe in magic, but refused to see LotR as anything but a story with a good Christian foundation (never mind the fact that one of Tolkien’s primary motivations for writing it was because England didn’t have a creation myth) in spite of the fact that Gandalf could out-magic Tim Hunter...er, um, I mean Harry Potter with his eyes closed.