 Off-Topic / Debate / 20520
Re: "France is not a Western Country anymore"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 23:53:08 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richie Dulin writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richie Dulin writes:

<snipped the adultery bit>

In general, I don't have to sell my house multiple times to know what the
value is, I can use comps and appraisals if I really need to know a value at
a particular time.

Yes, because a house is a good for which there is a market. But how much are
you worth, dead?

Wrongful death suits, as prosecuted in today's current system in the US (and
I believe in Oz too) deal with this question all the time.

Determined by a judicial process... so once again, you need a judiciary...
and because your theoretical system is dynamic, values for transgressions
need to be determined each and every time, so it's going to be a big
judiciary....

And what about that criminal penalty concept you mentioned?

Do you disagree that they manage to answer this question, somehow? (not
whether they always get the right answer)

Not that they manage to answer the question. But I think the catch is 'ever'
rather than 'always' - after all, they arrive at a dollar value.

But we digress... Do you agree or disagree with the assertion that sharia is
not a particularly just system and further, that it may be symptomatic of a
fundamental problem with islam being considered a religion of 'peace'? I
didn't get a clear answer there yet I don't think....

I think it is no more just than the system which declares all rights are
property rights.

You haven't given a cogent argument why such a system is unjust. But even
so, you're using property rights based systems as a red herring, because the
system I prefer is not the system that Australia or the US currently uses.

Yes. I realise your proposed system is imaginary.

I was not comparing the Sharia to the Australian or US justice system,
merely to the property rights-based system which you have so earnestly
advocated.

Be specific.

Is Sharia more or less just than the current system of law in effect in
Australia, in your view?

I didn't claim that it was or not, merely that it was no less arbitrary than
your imaginary property rights based system.

Having said that though, the current system in Australia is, I suspect more
just than the Sharia. But then I am not a follower of Islam, and have never
directly experienced that system. However, I do know that it seems no more
arbitrary that a system of justice which depends on the unproveable concept
of all rights being property rights.

Is a religion that requires all residents of a country to adhere to its
system more or less tolerant than one that does not?

Is a system which is not tolerant less tolerant than one that is tolerant?
Of course, but that's a pointless question. The original question you raised
was if Islam was a religion of 'peace'. What makes you think tolerance and
peace are the same?

These are both clear questions.

Maybe, but they are not relevent to the original point, and just because a
question is clear, doesn't mean there is a clear answer.

Please answer them without prevarication, if
you can, or admit that you cannot. If you cannot answer these questions
without prevarication, you're wasting my time.

Right.

Cheers

Richie Dulin