 Off-Topic / Debate / 20400
Re: "France is not a Western Country anymore"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 19 Apr 2003 04:22:33 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Terry Prosper writes:
That as Europe becomes more and more influenced politically by Muslims, the
rift between the US and Europe will only widen.  The day is coming when >modern,
secular European nations are going to find themselves dominated by indigenous
Muslims who follow a religion that has yet to pass through enlightenment.

Ah!  There it is!  The proven fact that you are a racist.

Okay, let's put away the racist card already.  Islam is a *religion*.
Followers of Islam are *Muslims*.  "Arab" is a race term, not "Muslim", okay?

  All right.  Why don't we use the term "bigot" then?

"Enlightenment" A philosophical movement of the 18th century that emphasized
the use of reason to scrutinize previously accepted doctrines and traditions
and that brought about many humanitarian reforms.

I meant it in a historical context.

  If you're going to use the term "enlightenment" as litmus test to determine
whether a group is worthy of respect, then you need to throw out groups that
work to foster pseudoscience in education or which try do eliminate the
division between church and state--both of these are contrary to
post-enlightenment thinking but are rampant among certain groups here in the US.

     Dave!