 Off-Topic / Debate / 20405
Re: "France is not a Western Country anymore"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 19 Apr 2003 07:15:28 GMT

Enlightenment is a relative thing.  At one time it was far more enlightened
than Christianity.  But then again, many Christian forces in this country
want to replace science with their dogma.  The pendulum swings both ways.

I'm seeing that the term "Enlightenment" was probably too loaded a word for the
idea I wished to convey.  What I meant by it was an intellectual passing into
the 20th Century.  By most accounts I have read, it is generally agreed that
Islam is culturally about 500 years behind the times.  That is not to say that
all Muslims are stuck in the 16th Century-- I personally have met Muslims who
are very modern in their thinking (who, interestingly, regard Islam as a
*system* rather than a religion).

The United States and Europe have never seen completely eye-to-eye.

By definition-- our very existence as a sovereign nation attests to that fact.

Will Islamic influence widen the gap?  Possibly.  Maybe we should be a little
more sensitive to such an influential force then?

I think we are, but not in the sense you mean.  The fact is that we are not
very well liked (rightly or wrongly) in the Arab world right now, and as we
have seen, the really pissed off ones are willing to committ mass murder
because of it.

And I don't forsee any happy endings.  As far as any conflict goes, I don't
see any difference upon what basis a civil war would be fought-- I was
talking about conflicts *within* European countries such as France or
Germany.  Or maybe I missed your point.

Pograms, death camps, genocide.  Then again, maybe Europe learned something.

I don't know.  I see a lot of contradictions over there...

JOHN