 Off-Topic / Debate / 20420
Re: "France is not a Western Country anymore"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 20 Apr 2003 04:20:07 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva writes:

(To John: a significant number of Muslims has lived in Europe for centuries,
notably in the Balkans. They are not Arabs, and they have little to none
political expression as a lobby in Western Europe. So in fact when you're
referring to Muslims in WE, you are indeed confusing them with the Arab
immigration - and that is dangerously close to racial profiling. I will
however admit this to be unintentional)

That as Europe becomes more and more influenced politically by Muslims, the
rift between the US and Europe will only widen.  The day is coming when
modern, secular European nations are going to find themselves dominated by
indigenous Muslims who follow a religion that has yet to pass through
enlightenment.

("Dominated"???)

To answer your question above, I was referring, as I believe the author of the
article was as well, to Arab immigration and their direct descendants post WWII.

So doesn't that make your own distinction between "Muslim" and "Arab" a bit
shakier? You claimed to be referring to Muslims, and that Arab was a
race-related term.

When I said "dominated", I meant in the context of numbers.  The Muslim
population continues to grow throughout Europe as the European population
continues to slide.  At some point in the not-too-distant future, the Muslim
population will be in the majority in terms of a voting lobby.

(and exactly what do you propose to do about it???)

lol Absolutely nothing-- it's not really my problem! I just found the
statistics interesting and am just wondering how *Europe* will react.

Should it react at all?
Are we in trouble? If so, exactly what kind of trouble?

Don't you think it's a bit awkward to speak of "arabizing" Europe, when from
a rough total of 450 million European Citizens (1), only some 15 million are
of Arab origin? And knowing that, in the overall context, also the numbers
of Hindus or Chinese are increasing significantly? Wasn't that very same
multiculturalism/tolerance that made America so great?

Again, I don't want to speak about *Arabs*, unless we are talking about those
Arabs who are radicalized Muslims.

Read some paragraphs above: you stated *clearly* that you were referring to
Arabs, as you supposed that the author was too.

You will not find much tolerance in the US
for such ilk.

Of course not. You won't find much support for radicals here as well; the
difference is here we don't like *any* sort of radicals, if you get my drift
(if not, remember the Mayflower :-)

America became great because of *mutual* respect of different
cultures-- that is a concept that is non-existent to the radical Muslim.

The same being valid towards the radical christian. I feel my rights as a
non-believer are infringed everytime I read a dollar bill!
Also, which one is better? To have a number of different cultures coexisting
in one nation, or mixing them up in one single culture?
(Compare USA and Brazil for instance - both large countries with vast
numbers of migrants from very different origins)

Do you realize that the very same argument the author uses towards Arabs was
used two generations ago regarding Jews?

I don't hear the author speaking of a "master race" and all of that.

Of course not. That would be a giveaway!
But you do read his complains about the "invasion" from North Africa...

A major
difference here is the radical element that is a part of the Muslim package.
The Jews never presented a physical threat to their respective countries as the
radicalized factions of Islam do.

True. But radical Islam is fairly recent as a mass phenomena - it only
gained such expression as a consequence of Israel's birth as a sovereign state.
Would you claim that *in present* there are no radical jews as well? And
that if there were no Israel, *they* would be fighting for a country of
their own using all available means?

Also, are you aware of whom is using that argument *in* Europe right now?

Not especially.

Only a couple hours ago there was this debate in TV5 (french spoken) about
arab religious signs in schools - it's a big issue over there, and it's in
fact a point where radicals can gain a battle if not faced by the *atheists*
(strangely enough, the christians have discretely sided with the Muslims on
this subject).
So, I was listening to some of the views presented, and I noticed the only
smiling face on the table: the Front Nationale representative... of course
he gets amused to see how the french have to rise against chadors in
schools, effectively creating a climate of distrust between the "100%
french" and the Arabs. It's his gain, sponsored by any government that might
hold office!

Coincidentally, Jean-Marie Le Pen was re-elected (for the zilionth time) the
chairman of FN last night. His record in WW2 is "impecable", not to mention
his rhetoric since the eighties - he denies the Holocaust, for instance.

Sure, I noticed a very strong Arab presence in France (there is no doubt
about that). I also realized that the majority of the unemployed youngsters
(or sub-employed) are of Arab origin. Would that be a possible explanation
for the degree of disenfranchising they experience in a society that still
regards them as foreigners? It's so easy to point out the Arabs as the
causers of the unrest in the french "banlieues"... but who has put them in
those ghettos in the first place? Wouldn't they be people like the man who
wrote this article?

All I wanted to point out was that the threat of Islamic extremists isn't only
the US's problem-- it is going to be on Europe's doorstep soon.

But in a much different fashion, that I'm sure you'll agree. Here they feel
they can actually get support if they don't step over the line... so they won't.

We in the US
have set a course as to how we intent to address this threat.

Boom?
Bang?
Bzzzzzt?
Arrest without charge?
Brainwash?
What way is that?

All I see is
Europe opposing us in our fight instead of joining forces with us.  The sooner
they address the issue the better for their own sake.

As much as I'd love that simplistic, "close the borders, jail the SoBs" way
of thinking, I won't follow it. It goes against what Europe represents in
the post-WW2.
Plus, we have the strong suspicion this is a zealots' war, and Bush ain't
helping to change that thought every single time he says "God bless
America". Why should we fight his crusade?

Of course we do not like terrorists - and rest assured they won't find safe
ground in Europe. But be especially careful of what you consider a
terrorist, or you may lose this automatic support you still enjoy: there is
a difference between a terrorist and a dictator.
People are already starting to joke about the War on Terror as the best of
all pretexts - and if Afghanistan was easy to support, and Iraq was merely
criticized on the way the matter was conducted, others may not find *any*
support in Europe if presented as part of the said war. We expect at least
new lies, if new truths can't be argued.

Muslims in France may be peaceful, but if there is growing unrest among them,
then they are ripe for radicalization.

Exactly. See the Boxer rebellion, 1900, in China - it's the best example I
can remember.
But how do you make the radicals' appeal less interesting to the
disenfranchised with too much free time? Do you have any flawless idea?

Pedro