 Off-Topic / Debate / 20403
Re: "France is not a Western Country anymore"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 19 Apr 2003 05:39:27 GMT

In the context that the Muslim population is growing in Europe, it might be
interesting, but the article you quote is absolutely venomous about it.
Since you make no mention of it even after me refering to the article as
"drivel" and "trash", I would suspect that you haven't picked up on that
venom in the least.

Oh, the bitterness didn't escape me.  And I never claimed to ascribe to his
view-- I just, as I said in my one word review, found it "interesting".  How
many feel the same as he?  Is it a growing sentiment?  I have no idea.  I
frankly didn't even realize that such sentiments even existed in France.

France has long had a difficult relationship with Arab countries due to its
colonialism in North Africa (Algeria, Morocco, Tunisia come to mind).  That
reverse migration has happened only seems appropriate: the link worked both
ways.

There has been a backlash movement against Arabs/Islamics in France and
Germany for some time now.  I haven't really kept track of it, so I can't
say if it is growing, staying even, or shrinking, or even how big it really is.

There are those who believe that if the current population trends continue,
Europe will either become as Muslim as current Arab states or be headed for
civil war.

What are you driving at here?  You don't mean civil war in any case, you
mean racial or religious war.

That as Europe becomes more and more influenced politically by Muslims, the
rift between the US and Europe will only widen.  The day is coming when modern,
secular European nations are going to find themselves dominated by indigenous
Muslims who follow a religion that has yet to pass through enlightenment.

Enlightenment is a relative thing.  At one time it was far more enlightened
than Christianity.  But then again, many Christian forces in this country
want to replace science with their dogma.  The pendulum swings both ways.

The United States and Europe have never seen completely eye-to-eye.  Will
Islamic influence widen the gap?  Possibly.  Maybe we should be a little
more sensitive to such an influential force then?

And I don't forsee any happy endings.  As far as any conflict goes, I don't see any
difference upon what basis a civil war would be fought-- I was talking about
conflicts *within* European countries such as France or Germany.  Or maybe I
missed your point.

Pograms, death camps, genocide.  Then again, maybe Europe learned something.

-->Bruce<--