 Off-Topic / Debate / *15331 (-100)
  Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf

(...) Yea, just look at the history of "serious" model railroading. Weren't there even some complaints about kits back in the beginning. There sure were a lot of complaints about the RTR (ready to run [out of the box]) models. Bachman's come a long (...) (23 years ago, 6-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf

(...) My question here would be whether folks would forget to check that the upload is significant on the one hand, and if folks would mark their avatars and other relatively non-interesting pictures as significant? Has anything ever happened with (...) (23 years ago, 6-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.publish)

  Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf

(...) When the Brickshelf gallery first opened several people were given admin access (mainly just being content cops). The major (possibly only) rule for filtering brickshelf was non-lego related pictures were not allowed. I only deleted pics a few (...) (23 years ago, 6-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf

(...) I did. I knew other kids who did. My seven year old son is keen to pay his fair share for things (if he happens to have cash). (...) I might be the only one, but I don't get the sense of what you wrote here. (...) And? Chris (23 years ago, 6-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf

(...) giving (...) Do you seriously think young kids at 8-16 years willing to donate for something that is free? I don't think so. Bionicle is LEGO, and Brickshelf is a hosting site for LEGO Images, and its not making any money what so ever. (...) (23 years ago, 6-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf

(...) Five is a blatant series? Jude (23 years ago, 6-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf

(...) Um, no. The owner of BZ said he could not afford to continue hosting them and that avatars were high bandwidth. He called it a problem, in so many words. So it is a problem for someone. (...) As long as Kevin can *afford* it to be. It's not a (...) (23 years ago, 6-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf

<massive snip> Even though I think that the avatars are a waste and should some how be limited on Brickshelf, your post made a lot of sense. I agree completely with you on the points you made. But still, I do think that there needs to be a limit on (...) (23 years ago, 6-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf

(...) It's not a problem, it is a choice. The free sites offer their service without stipulation for people to use. Brickshelf is there for all Lego aficionados. **Warning*** I am going off an a tangent- Lugnet has virtually ignored Bionicle fans. (...) (23 years ago, 6-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf

  Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf

A technical argument against avatars could be made on bandwidth grounds. In fact, this is the argument bioniclezone.com itself gives against hosting avatars there directly. They can't afford the bandwidth that these avatars (which appear on every (...) (23 years ago, 6-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

"tom" <tinosanto@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:GpI890.8D8@lugnet.com... (...) Who are you to chastize him for an opinion? The admin of LUGNET? (...) can't (...) brickbay (...) I imagine in Jon's opinion, Bionicle avatars are much different than (...) (23 years ago, 6-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

"tom" <tinosanto@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:GpIFL7.MEB@lugnet.com... (...) view. Quality MOCs are being overtaken on Brickshelf because of the avatars. They're not permanently hidden, but they're pushed out of the way (and hidden from view (...) (23 years ago, 6-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf

It seems that I might be stepping into a personality conflict between these two that pre-exists this discussion. Is that the case? (...) Too many capitalized words will dilute your point...whatever it was. (...) You go on to discuss how one makes (...) (23 years ago, 6-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf

(...) Ouch, is that how you treat everything you do not like? Tell me, what product line of Lego do you like... lets trash that, as well as your work for awhile - ok?? Thats what you are doing here.... (...) If it is still there, then it is not (...) (23 years ago, 6-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf

(...) Kevin is the Owner, Maintainer, and Administrator of Brickshelf. (...) Why is that Ironic? One doesn't have to like something to make money on it. Fads are notorious for being big money makers for a short period of time. Jon obviously feels (...) (23 years ago, 6-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf

(...) That is your right to think he has valid points, but that is not the point. (...) No, because children would see it - your example is a very poor one. These are as lego-related as the cad images. AFAIK there is not a way to do this in mclad or (...) (23 years ago, 6-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf

(...) He is well within his rights to ask for a ban on something he dislikes. Unlike many calls-for-bans, however, he actually has valid points. (...) Well, because they are barely related, and certainly don't add anything to the community; in Jon's (...) (23 years ago, 6-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf

(...) I thought Kevin was an admin of brickshelf, other than that I have no idea. (...) lol, so do I. Land of Lakes medium chedder to be exact `,D (...) So would I, I just found it ironic that he was talking trash about bionice (as well as the (...) (23 years ago, 6-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf

(...) Why? Because he does not like them? Why should these lego items be banned from a lego pic hosting service? Are they lego related - yes! He simply wants them banned because *he* does not like them! Is that mature? And as far as other options (...) (23 years ago, 6-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf

(...) My dad can beat up both your dads. ~Grand Admiral Muffin Head -- Mark's Lego Creations (URL) (23 years ago, 6-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf

(...) LOL, is anyone an admin of brickshelf? of course not, but I believe there should be. We need some people to weed out all the junk that gets posted on there. Now, whether these avatars are considered junk or not is up to Kevin. (...) I love (...) (23 years ago, 6-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf

(...) Your arguement makes no sense. If Jon were a Brickshelf Admin, do you honestly think he'd post a message like he did? Of course not! He'd just go ahead and ban them, or at least discuss it privately with the other Brickshelf Admin(s). (...) (23 years ago, 6-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf

(...) Yes Jeff you are indeed correct, you are a smart one - now maybe you will see that I did not say he *could not* suggest it... I was asking what his position was at brickshelf. There is a difference you know. And he was calling for them to be (...) (23 years ago, 6-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf

(...) THANK YOU for proving my point even further! You are making this too easy! You should read the rest, maybe you will learn something! Grow up... (23 years ago, 6-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf

(...) I of course typo my witty retort. Ah well. :-) More flamebait I suppose. -Jon (23 years ago, 6-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf

(...) Uh, ANYone can suggest ANYthing they want ANYtime they want. Wether Kevin decides to listen to him is another story. Jeff (23 years ago, 6-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf

"tom" <tinosanto@hotmail.com> muttered in message news:GpI890.8D8@lugnet.com... (...) brickbay (...) of (...) I'm sorry, I didn't get a chance to read the rest.. I'd very much like it if we could ban Tom. I just cna't ignore him. -Jon (yawn..) (23 years ago, 6-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf

(...) And who are you to even think about suggesting this? Are you an admin of brickshelf? (...) Whaa, whaa, whaa... Would you like some cheese to go with that whine? And this is comming from a person who is selling bionicle masks in his brickbay (...) (23 years ago, 6-Jan-02, to lugnet.technic.bionicle, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Love that Costco

(...) I'm tending to side with Calum on this one. If you use Costco too sparingly then it isn't worth the $45 you pay for membership. BTW I checked Costco today because at Scam's Club (whose membership I let lapse in November) you can shop there for (...) (23 years ago, 4-Jan-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Eduardo is out of line (was: Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms")

(...) While the trend in campus speech codes is disturbing, I don't think universities need to allow complete free speech. Universities need to provide an environment for education. If a person (or group of people) is being abused by the speech of (...) (23 years ago, 3-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Good by Santa... Hello PC

(...) While I agree with certain anti-PC sentiments, I can not totally agree with the concept. Things I think are reasonable to take "PC" type attitudes about: - call people what they what to be called (for example, are you willing to let people (...) (23 years ago, 3-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bulk Lego Auctions

"Allan Bedford" <apotomeREMOVE-THIS@...vista.net> wrote in message news:GpCC0F.EHF@lugnet.com... (...) sincerely (...) way (...) by (...) spark (...) I'll throw in my $0.02 worth on this topic because I agree with Larry (I think I do anyway). I (...) (23 years ago, 3-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bulk Lego Auctions

(...) Here's the charter of .announce lugnet.announce– General-interest announcements to the community (breaking news about products, releases, contests, events, and sites, etc.); also, important LUGNET information (new features, services, scheduled (...) (23 years ago, 3-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general)

  EURO (at last!)

Hi there! So it is finally among us... Will it make LEGO purchases and trades (and others, too!), done internationally, any easier? Let's hope so! All the best for 2002! :-D (BTW, I love the banknotes and coins, but I think they are a tad small... (...) (23 years ago, 1-Jan-02, to lugnet.loc.eu, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms"

(...) True. But, so? Instances of significant artistic achievement have also often been branded as pornographic for a time. That seems more apropos to the discussion. You wrote "Avant garde. Ptooey." in an earlier note, but what about the avant (...) (23 years ago, 31-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms"

(...) Okay, I am not sure who the anarchist is, but you seem to have a strange view concerning the defense of freedom of speech and expression. Defending freedom of speech generally means defending the right of anyone to express whatever (...) (23 years ago, 31-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms"

(...) is (...) No. If he wants support from LEGO, then probably, he will have to be more selective (editorial/censorshipish, however you want to define it). However, if Jason is willing to forgo the actual financial support of LEGO, then he should (...) (23 years ago, 31-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms"

(...) Well, true significance of a work of art is often only realized until after an artist's death. My point is that if Jason is linking to *all* submissions to his site; it won't take long for some idiot to submit something that even Jason will (...) (23 years ago, 31-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms"

Forgive me for jumping in late here, but I haven't been hanging around .debate much the past few days... (...) And at some point it *could* be the finest piece of art ever crafted by humankind; *that* is the point at which we should decide. To (...) (23 years ago, 28-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: "MOC" Blacksmith Shop on lego.com

My wife keeps joking about our 2nd floor apt not being able to handle the weight of the Lego - good thing that ton or more is spread out all over the place ;-) (...) -- Tom Stangl ***(URL) Visual FAQ home ***(URL) Bay Area DSMs (23 years ago, 30-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: "MOC" Blacksmith Shop on lego.com

(...) You're right, though it could be 250-300 pounds. I don't think I have a ton of bricks, either. Now half a million is sure to be a ton of bricks. (23 years ago, 30-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: "MOC" Blacksmith Shop on lego.com

(...) No, it's actually quite clear. As in the example above. ("I" am saying that YOU wrote the stuff that is marked with ">" symbols and YOU are saying that TOM wrote the stuff that is marked with ">>" symbols.) PLEASE DO NOT manually "correct" (...) (23 years ago, 28-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: "MOC" Blacksmith Shop on lego.com

(...) Tom, you're not bursting any bubble, you're simply confirming what I said. I am not, and do not consider myself to be a "major customer" by any definition. I have what I think is a fairly small collection for an adult. 50,000 bricks, spread (...) (23 years ago, 28-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms"

(...) Rather narrow-minded opinion at that. (...) Ah, now that's your right... (...) Now here, you need to BUTT OUT! Quit forcing your narrow-minded morality on everyone else. (...) Quality film-MAKING has nothing to do with the content. Is that so (...) (23 years ago, 28-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms"

(...) What a load of crap. If the S is happy, and the M is happy, who the HELL are you to call it evil? Self-righteous bigot. Hide behind your righteousness if you want, but it won't disguise that you're a bigot. (...) Rape is not sex. It's not (...) (23 years ago, 28-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms"

(...) Agreed. John made himself look disgusting and ignorant with that post. Then again, he's the one that wants the machine to do his parenting for him...how's that for ignorant? -- Tom Stangl ***(URL) Visual FAQ home ***(URL) Bay Area DSMs (23 years ago, 28-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms"

(...) Ummm, only if you believe being gay is immoral. Luckily for gay people, I and enough other people don't believe that (or at the least don't worry about it enough to persecute gay people). -- Tom Stangl ***(URL) Visual FAQ home ***(URL) Bay (...) (23 years ago, 28-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Attributing quotes (was:"MOC" Blacksmith Shop on lego.com)

Tom, You should be a bit more careful with your quoting - most of this was actually Allan's comments. Also, it makes things easier if you reply to the actual post you're quoting most from. Regards ROSCO (...) (23 years ago, 28-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: "MOC" Blacksmith Shop on lego.com

(...) Well, hate to burst your bubble, but 50-60K bricks in 3 years DOESN'T put you in the "major customer" bracket. That's a drop in the ocean. Some people around here have bought that many bricks (or more) in ONE DAY. And even that won't begin to (...) (23 years ago, 28-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: How many died at (or after) Chernobyl (Was: Re: Who said TLC forgot their heritage?)

(...) The usual figure given out is ~60 or so. That was _direct_ radiation deaths. The other death totals (indirect) are very much larger, and not really known/knowable. I would say that 8K is a reasonable "estimate" of deaths caused directly by (...) (23 years ago, 28-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  How many died at (or after) Chernobyl (Was: Re: Who said TLC forgot their heritage?)

"Hendo (John P. Henderson)" <hendo@valyance.com> wrote in message news:Gp0tqn.BLJ@lugnet.com... (...) Browsing (...) I think this is a great portion of the Lego site but there was one fact that confused me. It states that a total of 8000 people died (...) (23 years ago, 28-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: New annoying pop-up ad

(...) I haven't seen that, but I did run across one the other day that started out as a fixed-size banner ad (chosen from a set of banners for the page I was viewing, I'm sure) that expanded itself to about double the 'fixed' size of the banner (...) (23 years ago, 26-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms"

(...) Well, now you know. Remember it because it will pop up from time to time and only Bible-thumpers (and those supported by them) use it. (...) WRONG! The first thing you learn in Early Childhood Education is that EVERYONE has sexual urges to (...) (23 years ago, 26-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Good by Santa... Hello PC

Well, there is that St. Nicholas connection. The old fellow who boxed Arius' ear, gave bags of gold to strangers, and became the patron saint of pawnbrokers. Really! (23 years ago, 26-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Good by Santa... Hello PC

"Kirby Warden" <inourimage@msn.com> wrote in message news:GovJGz.87w@lugnet.com... (...) you (...) the (...) Oh geez! Santa is not specifically a part of Christian culture. He's neutral. Both Christians and non-Christians alike have Santa as a part (...) (23 years ago, 25-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Good by Santa... Hello PC

chech this out... (URL) sure it the link will work, if not, then type into your address field. I tried to copy/paste but it seems Lugnet won't allow for this. How do you other folks do links if you can't copy/paste? Anyway, I was of the opinion that (...) (23 years ago, 25-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: 3 Words For Christmas

(...) answers! (...) more dessert, please more eggnog, please fortifying said eggnog five pounds gained prepare to diet! prepare to shop! after Christmas sales visits to in-laws off to Grandma's continuing family rituals waiting for Santa finally (...) (23 years ago, 24-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: We're all Anoraks on this bus (was Sadness

(...) What, exactly, do you mean by that? I'm really starting to get sick of how you guys are always trying to start something! Chris ;-) (23 years ago, 24-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: We're all Anoraks on this bus (was Sadness

(...) Ya know, that describes most people's hobbies to most poeple that don't share them. For example, I find that an excellent descriptor of sports fans. Ugh, I can't imagine a more dreary way to spend a Sunday afternoon than watching football, (...) (23 years ago, 24-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: We're all Anoraks on this bus (was Sadness

(...) I'd never heard the term except to describe the jacket thingy until today! Man, I need a life! (...) Seppo's usually good for a few posts... (...) No comment! Merry Christmas all! ROSCO (23 years ago, 24-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: We're all Anoraks on this bus (was Sadness

(...) Which is why I said it applies to us. NOT meant as an insult, I don't find it as insulting a term as some of those in the UK do. (see thoughts on what it means to be a hacker and the hacker trance, and some other topics, in the jargon file... (...) (23 years ago, 24-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: New annoying pop-up ad

A few more things I forgot. You can also use many of these programs to block ads elsewhere. I use the adsubtract server for Weatherbug and Kazaa as well. I think you can have AIM run through a proxy as well but I just use DeadAim instead. The (...) (23 years ago, 24-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: New annoying pop-up ad

"Kirby Warden" <inourimage@msn.com> wrote in message news:GotrCE.K5K@lugnet.com... (...) new (...) under (...) Thats disgusting. (...) I block ads 24/7 but a few times my ad killer has been off (or I've been on someone elses computer) I have seen (...) (23 years ago, 24-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: New annoying pop-up ad

(...) Nope...but I would like to see it. Can you supply a link? (I went to MSNBC and searched "osprey", let a couple of stories sit in my browser for a while, but nothing ever happened). I'm assuming this is just a Java applet, but I would like to (...) (23 years ago, 24-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  New annoying pop-up ad

Yesterday I checked out an Osprey report on MSNBC and was pommeled by a new pop-up ad. I had already read about half the article when the screen slowly "morphed" into an ad... completely obscuring the browser so that I could not click "stop" or (...) (23 years ago, 24-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

"Maggie Cambron" <mcambron@pacbell.net> wrote in message news:Got0JI.It6@lugnet.com... (...) Anoraks are indeed a warm jacket. As such, they are commonly worn by Train Spotters - who spend all day on cold station platforms waiting to note down (...) (23 years ago, 23-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

="Christopher Weeks" <clweeks@eclipse.net> wrote in message news:Goszrp.H3J@lugnet.com... (...) important... Ok. (...) though. (...) I don't believe there's a fault in my thinking. I will definitely examine my thinking, but at this point I still (...) (23 years ago, 23-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:Goszyq.HK0@lugnet.com... (...) Every AFOL is NOT an anorak. Being an anorak is considered a mildly derogatory term - in the UK at least. Though usually used in an amusing, harmless (...) (23 years ago, 23-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms"

(...) old, (...) I know four people (two unrelated Africans and two sibling Americans) who breastfed to either 4 or 5. They recall suckling at their mother's teat. My first reaction was to think that would be very odd. But I'm sure they all have (...) (23 years ago, 23-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms"

(...) You will also find that many people who act so liberal about it get very uncomfortable to see a woman breastfeeding a baby over six or eight months old, say. Yet in many cultures (and presumably in ours at one time) children breastfeed for a (...) (23 years ago, 23-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: We're all Anoraks on this bus (was Sadness

(...) Okay, this here Bozo is ignorant. I thought an anorak was some kind of warm jacket from L.L. Bean. (...) You mean like the editors of Time magazine selling out and calling Giuliani Person of the Year because they didn't have the *ahem* guts to (...) (23 years ago, 23-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  We're all Anoraks on this bus (was Sadness

(...) BTW, Every AFOL I know (and some that reject the label but are AFOLs anyway) is an Anorak. So what? (...) If you want to start an argument you have to say something CONTROVERSIAL. That one is so obviously true it doesn't merit comment. :-) (23 years ago, 23-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Eduardo is out of line (was: Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms")

Tim, I'm choping your note and reassembling because I think it's important... (...) I believe I detect a double standard in your rhetoric. Is it "pinning" something on you to identify the fault in your thinking? (...) For me, this isn't really about (...) (23 years ago, 23-Dec-01, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Man, you lot are sad

"Jason J. Railton" <j.j.railton@cwcom.net> wrote in message news:Gorw1C.Mu8@lugnet.com... (...) Hi Jason Trying to buck the trend eh? Your reply should have questioned my religion or sexuality :-) My wife says we are a bunch of anoraks (but still (...) (23 years ago, 23-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms"

First, let me say that I have not so far in my own life ever had a child. I may never have a child. So perhaps you may think I don't have an educated opinion. In fact, most of my views come from how I was raised. So really, if you have a beef with (...) (23 years ago, 23-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Man, you lot are sad

(...) Not biting today, huh Loz? Almost as big a flop as my one about trainheads doing better buildings than the townies. Do these things just not carry across the language barrier? Jason J Railton (23 years ago, 23-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: for the eyes of Suz (Was Re: For the Eyes of Alfred Speredelozzi

(...) snip (...) mucho snipping (...) Lego is way better than candy!! I'm new posting on lugnet, but I've been reading posts since I learned about the site, about 1 1/2 yrs. ago. I first saw Lego when I was about 4 or 5 yrs. old (before I was in (...) (23 years ago, 23-Dec-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms"

(...) Yeah, I second this. It's a little off topic -- but I recently heard/learned that kissing was made popular by the Romans. Now, I don't know if that is true, but it's interesting to think that something commonplace today -- even in public -- (...) (23 years ago, 23-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms"

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks writes: <snip> (...) Yah, no kidding. I want to chime in here for a bit. What *is* the big deal about this? I thought the government was supposed to be seperate from the church, yet it seems that most (...) (23 years ago, 23-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms"

(...) Richard, do you think there are any ideas or images to which access should be prevented or restricted? I was once offended by an afternoon TV show about coprophilia at the perfect time for kids to come home from school and flip on the TV. I am (...) (23 years ago, 22-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms"

(...) Excuse me? S&M is not "evil"- as long as the people taking part are consenting (over age of consent, whatever that is where the act takes place), it is no more "evil" than sex in the missonary position between a man and his lawfully married (...) (23 years ago, 22-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms"

(...) lol Well I came in a little strong, and so now I'm trying to tone down:-) (...) But you agree that at some point it *could* be. (...) hehe I know nothing about the porn industry, except that I hear it's huge, and that it's largely due to the (...) (23 years ago, 22-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms"

(...) Why not? It is only by exposure to all kinds of stimuli that children are able to understand and begin to make sense of the world around them. (...) This is false. Eroticism is part of what it is to be human. If you want to shut off that part (...) (23 years ago, 22-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms"

(...) I did not know that. (...) But since we are talking about children who *don't* have sexual urges, then it *isnt't* appropriate. The very nature of having such feelings is indicative of the (...) I disagee. (...) Learning comes in stages. We (...) (23 years ago, 22-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms"

John, first of all, I owe you a thanks. I was kind of excited by your tone in some notes and I wrote more hotly than was wise. You either didn't take it that way or only calmly replied. Thanks. (...) But I'm saying that it might not _be_ filth in my (...) (23 years ago, 22-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms"

(...) My opinion. (...) And I don't want filth in the eye of my or anyone else's child. (...) Please cite examples, or are you speaking hypothetically? (...) Come again? Porn has *everything* to do with money and nothing to do with creativity. There (...) (23 years ago, 22-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Man, you lot are sad

(...) It's a conspiracy-- we're all doing it just to bug you. -John (23 years ago, 22-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms"

(...) It can be. S & M, which combines sex and violence is evil; rape is evil. (...) What I am talking about is presenting adult material *before* a child is mature enough to handle it. In this example, a child wouldn't be seeking out this (...) (23 years ago, 22-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Is Eduardo is out of line? (was: Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms")

(...) You're refering to the world according to Christianity, are you not? If so, I don't think your opinion above is quite true. According to Christianity, every child is born into sin. So, to live as a Jew without being baptized as a Christian (...) (23 years ago, 22-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Man, you lot are sad

(...) What. Chris (23 years ago, 22-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Man, you lot are sad

Haven't hung around lugnet much of late. Thought I would have a browse through off-topic to see what was happening since the Scott and Larry show. Why must every thread here end up ending up as a debate on religion or sexuality? You lot don't get (...) (23 years ago, 22-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Is Eduardo is out of line? (was: Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms")

(...) it!? (...) LOL Ah what the heck I reply anyway. My point, which I guess I failed to get across, is that Homosexuality does not affect innocent lives. (Unlike rape,adultry, and murder.) It is therefore an act of evil that is between the (...) (23 years ago, 22-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Is Eduardo is out of line? (was: Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms")

(...) What are you *saying*? You glibly quote the word of God and then immediately admit you go against it!? God has clearly commanded us all to kill homosexuals. To go against that command is far worse in my mind than the men who lie around with (...) (23 years ago, 22-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Is Eduardo is out of line? (was: Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms")

(...) Except that being black or Jewish is not a sin. Homosexuality is. Any one that is Christian, Jewish, or Muslium must realize that. Leviticus Chapter 20 Verse 13: If a man lies with a man as he lies with a women, they have committed an (...) (23 years ago, 22-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms"

(...) I missed that. I'm still missing it, in fact, as I read back through your note. The sum of what you wrote on this specific subthread is: (...) And I agree with every last detail of your note except when you suggest that three year olds (...) (23 years ago, 22-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: for the eyes of Suz (Was Re: For the Eyes of Alfred Speredelozzi

Hmmm...mmm, Well I can't say I agree totally with everything being said here; I know I haven't been here as long as most of you, but I'll reply nonetheless. I still view LUGNET as the center of the lego universe, I come here everyday, read lot's, (...) (23 years ago, 22-Dec-01, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms"

(...) -its just that "family values" are too often used as a codeword to bash gays and lesbians. Having lived in a womans housing coop for 8 years, I was fairly well exposed to most possible combinations of alternate relationships- and I won't (...) (23 years ago, 22-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms"

That is my right, my privalidge. (...) I'm sorry if I insulted you, really I was trying to make a point with a message that embodied what I feared. I actually looked at a number of messages, saw a pattern and had to speak my truth. First, I don't (...) (23 years ago, 22-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms"

(...) real (...) Why? Take a look at the 2600 page- or even better : (URL) you put too much faith in a computer to censor? If you do any research, you will find that the blocking engines don't work-and _do_ block some sites they shouldn't on (...) (23 years ago, 22-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact