 Off-Topic / Debate / 15299
Re: Bulk Lego Auctions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 03:42:25 GMT

"Allan Bedford" <apotomeREMOVE-THIS@altavista.net> wrote in message
news:GpCC0F.EHF@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Larry Pieniazek writes:

there. (overuse of .announce groups is one of my many pet peeves.. :-) )

Hello Larry,

As someone who thinks the .announce groups are in good shape, I'm • sincerely
curious why you believe them to be overused.

In fact, if you take a look at the web interface of the newsgroups you'll
notice that by volume, the .announce groups don't even rank in the Top 20
most posted to groups on LUGNET:

http://news.lugnet.com/

While it can *perhaps* be argued that some misplaced postings find their • way
to the .announce groups, I think it can also be suggested that this isn't • by
any means an epidemic.

After all, the .off-topic groups get more than 18 times as many posts as
.announce.  Perhaps one of the problems with LUGNET right now is that too
many people are posting stuff that has not a lot to do with LEGO, and not
announcing enough things that do.  :)

I'm really interested in your take on this Larry.  I'm not looking to • spark
an argument, just to give you a chance to explain your feelings.

Best regards,
Allan B.

(Who has posted to .announce recently, but is setting follow-up on this
message to .debate, since it has nothing to do with either
market.buy-sell-trade or .announce.)  :)

I'll throw in my $0.02 worth on this topic because I agree with Larry (I
think I do anyway).  I don't think messages of the type "Hey, I updated my
web site, take a look!" belong in .announce.  I am of the opinion that the
.announce news group should be low traffic and only significant announcement
messages belong there.  What defines significant?  That is a hard question
to answer but the "Hey - I updated my web site!" messages are certainly not
significant.  Something like announcing the dates for Brickfest would
qualify.

Mike

http://www.nclug.net - North Carolina LEGO Users Group
http://www.carolinatrainbuilders - Carolina Train Builders