 Off-Topic / Debate / 15330
Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.publish
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 19:10:47 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
- Suggest that the "flooding" aspect be addressed by Kevin making a small
change to not put all images/folders into "recent" ... only those that the
uploader thinks are significant. This offers a way to address the "flooding"
concern without banning images. And it's a value neutral solution. Fix the
problem by offering choice rather than by banning.

My question here would be whether folks would forget to check that the
upload is significant on the one hand, and if folks would mark their
avatars and other relatively non-interesting pictures as significant?

Has anything ever happened with that guy who used to upload an entire
tree of folders empty but for a logo on a frequent basis? Because of
that guy, I don't tend to look in folders which just have some kind of
logo for the picture. If you want me to see your creation, try and make
sure a decent picture of it shows up as the picture for the folder.

One observation I made earlier today is that in a way all the chaff
almost makes it easier to browse the recent gallery. Why? Well, I seem
to easily tune out these avatars (and other creations I'm not really
interested in which for me then are chaff though they may be totally
awesome creations) which then leave less wheat to browse. Of course at
some point I stop going to the next page of recent additions, so I may
miss some stuff.

FUT: lugnet.publish

Frank