 Off-Topic / Debate / 15331
Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 19:08:11 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
Whether LUGNET is anti-Bionicle is an interesting topic. It's an instance of
the meta question that arises whenever adults take up things that mundanes
perceive as toys... "Is this subtoy of X 'polluting' our adult enjoyment of
toy X that we've discovered to be neato" ... c.f. the "serious"
modelrailroaders who used to rail against Bachman and tinplate and now
sometimes question the LEGO trainheads.

Yea, just look at the history of "serious" model railroading. Weren't
there even some complaints about kits back in the beginning. There sure
were a lot of complaints about the RTR (ready to run [out of the box])
models. Bachman's come a long way. Have you seen the Spectrum Series
Shay? It is an absolute beauty of a model, and it's RTR. It blows away
the Model Die Casting Shay kit (now also available RTR) in detail (and
it even uses the model Shay drive train as the drive train as opposed to
the MDC Shay which has a hidden center drive which actually runs the
model) and running (it's nice an quiet and real slow) and is DCC and
sound ready. Oh, and it comes equipped with Kadee compatible couplers.
Now I just need to find some space amongst the LEGO to get at least a
small diorama set up to run it.

Frank