 Off-Topic / Debate / 15332
Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 19:42:17 GMT

Um, no. The owner of BZ said he could not afford to continue hosting them
and that avatars were high bandwidth. He called it a problem, in so many
words. So it is a problem for someone.

Um, yes. The version of BZ that we are running now never hosted avatars. We
offer standard avatars for all users to use, and if they want to use a
custom avatar, then they have to find an external pic hosting site. Even
members who pay do not have avatars hosted on BZ. It is strictly optional if
a user wants to use a custom avatar. It is a choice.

As long as Kevin can *afford* it to be. It's not a right to be able to
upload images there, it's a privilege. Kevin hasn't said what bandwidth
impact these avatars have on Brickbay so maybe it's nothing much.

Right. Just as if Kevin can afford to host Lugnet member's pictures of their
trip to Legoland.

I think you may have me confused with others who are saying good or bad
things about Bionicle itself. My sum total contribution to the debate so far
has been: • <snip>
Whether LUGNET is anti-Bionicle is an interesting topic. But it's not a
relevant topic.

Right.... I said I was going off on a tangent.

<snip> because it's irrelevant to my points... you haven't addressed them at
all, really.

I didn't see much of a point made, really.

The flooding aspect has nothing to do with avatars.

Obviously free space isn't free. However if a person such as Kevin offers
such then a person complains about it when they see something that bothers
their gallery viewing pleasure, that that person should examine what why
they think they have a right to post their Lego related pictures there, and
why they think 14 year old kids don't.