 Off-Topic / Debate / 15325
Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 16:34:40 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Rich Manzo writes:
So they suggest that users go find free sites to host the pics on. Pushing
the problem off their own site and on to other sites, in essence.

It's not a problem, it is a choice.

Um, no. The owner of BZ said he could not afford to continue hosting them
and that avatars were high bandwidth. He called it a problem, in so many
words. So it is a problem for someone.

The free sites offer their service
without stipulation for people to use. Brickshelf is there for all Lego
aficionados.

As long as Kevin can *afford* it to be. It's not a right to be able to
upload images there, it's a privilege. Kevin hasn't said what bandwidth
impact these avatars have on Brickbay so maybe it's nothing much.

I think you may have me confused with others who are saying good or bad
things about Bionicle itself. My sum total contribution to the debate so far
has been:

- Suggest that the "flooding" aspect be addressed by Kevin making a small
change to not put all images/folders into "recent" ... only those that the
uploader thinks are significant. This offers a way to address the "flooding"
concern without banning images. And it's a value neutral solution. Fix the
problem by offering choice rather than by banning.

- point out that free space and free bandwidth aren't free... (I have
standing to make that statement about BrickShelf, although I can't prove it
because I can't find the link to the donations page on BrickShelf) and
suggest that people who use a lot of bandwidth on a free site maybe ought to
chip in for it. That goes for BZ and BS both... BZ has instituted
memberships as well as taking donations. BS used to take donations but I
can't find the link any more.

**Warning*** I am going off an a tangent-

<snip> because it's irrelevant to my points... you haven't addressed them at
all, really.

I make no statement whatever (in this thread) about the relative worth of
Bionicle. (however I would point you to my review of the collectible card
game in lugnet.reviews... we are a thorougly "bionicle positive" household,
we have lots of the product in many guises)

Whether LUGNET is anti-Bionicle is an interesting topic. It's an instance of
the meta question that arises whenever adults take up things that mundanes
perceive as toys... "Is this subtoy of X 'polluting' our adult enjoyment of
toy X that we've discovered to be neato" ... c.f. the "serious"
modelrailroaders who used to rail against Bachman and tinplate and now
sometimes question the LEGO trainheads.

But that question usually is answered in the negative and will be here too,
eventually. Bionicle is part of the line and is good for the line as a whole
whether one likes it or not.

Whether LUGNET is anti-Bionicle is an interesting topic. But it's not a
relevant topic.