 Off-Topic / Debate / 15279
Re: New annoying pop-up ad
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 26 Dec 2001 21:57:45 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kirby Warden wrote:

Yesterday I checked out an Osprey report on MSNBC and was pommeled by a new
pop-up ad.

I had already read about half the article when the screen slowly "morphed"
into an ad... completely obscuring the browser so that I could not click
"stop" or "back" or even click off to the side of the ad to "push" it under
the browser.  I was forced to simply wait for the ad to "morph" back into
the article, thereby having control of my browser returned to me.

Has anyone else been plagued with this new style pop-up?

I haven't seen that, but I did run across one the other day that started
out as a fixed-size banner ad (chosen from a set of banners for the page
I was viewing, I'm sure) that expanded itself to about double the
'fixed' size of the banner space, without rearranging the page-content
at all.  This meant that the ad covered the content I wanted to see.
The ad never shrank back down; I stuck around long enough, it should
have if it was going to do so.

Grr.

Steve