 Off-Topic / Debate / 15268
Re: New annoying pop-up ad
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 24 Dec 2001 03:17:19 GMT

"Kirby Warden" <inourimage@msn.com> wrote in message
news:GotrCE.K5K@lugnet.com...
Yesterday I checked out an Osprey report on MSNBC and was pommeled by a • new
pop-up ad.

I had already read about half the article when the screen slowly "morphed"
into an ad... completely obscuring the browser so that I could not click
"stop" or "back" or even click off to the side of the ad to "push" it • under
the browser.  I was forced to simply wait for the ad to "morph" back into
the article, thereby having control of my browser returned to me.

Thats disgusting.

Has anyone else been plagued with this new style pop-up?

I block ads 24/7 but a few times my ad killer has been off (or I've been on
someone elses computer) I have seen similar ads.  Once while on the Onion I
saw a liquor ad (crown royal?) that covered the screen; and then at IMDB I
saw a gross Ocean's Eleven ad.  If I wasn't able to block these ads I would
not visit these sites. Even the Onion.

I have also recently been afflicted with an annoying presen-laden Grinch
that floats across the screen at various angles, eventually popping-up • into
an ad that you can close.

The real Grinch would never do this. :-)  I'm sure Seuss is turning over in
his grave.

The internet is simply becomming less fun with these new ads that you must
watch.  I've been looking into some "ad-kill" programs.  I came across a
website that offers free downloads, apparently the programs even have
soundeffects so you can here the pop-ups exloding.  Any one ever download • a
file such as that?  What was your experience with it?

Ad blocking.  A subject very dear to me.  The first program I used was
Guidescope.

http://www.guidescope.com/home/

Its free and nails banner ads.  I wasn't terribly happy with the little
console thing though.  Check it out and you might know what I mean.

I then tried the Proxomitron.

http://proxomitron.org/

Very customizable. You can set this up to destroy ALL ads.  This was the
most complex to set up. (IMO)

Somewhere in here I tried a program to kill pop up ads only.  Pop up killer?
Not sure of the name but I believe it was the one that made sounds when the
pop up ads were found and killed.

But after all that I now use AdSubtract.

http://www.adsubtract.com/

There are 2 versions of this.  The free version has limited function and the
pay version is super cool. (We could debate the moral implications of
charging money for such a service in another thread).

I will tell you right now that the pay version can be cracked. (We could
debate the moral implications of this in another thread as well). :-)

You can configure it to block banner ads, pop up ads,  flash ads, and just
about every other ad you can imagine.  You can block cookies selectively
from certain cites.  Empty out your cache and cookies (in windows) easily.
Etc. etc. Its very easy to configure as well.

Also on another note.  The browser Mozilla has a few features that help to
disable ads that use Java.  I'm sure they're are many people out there who
could recommend this browser.

http://www.mozilla.org/

Another site to check out is Counterexploitation.

http://www.cexx.org/

Its a good site with general information on taking the net (and privacy)
back.

I might sound a little nutty about all this but I hate ads.  They're the
primary reason I don't watch TV and I'll be damned if they are going to take
over my PC as well.

I realize the purpose of ads.  I also realize that so many programs/ sites
rely on them to stay alive.  In a perfect world I think the whole concept of
ad revenue would go the way of the dinosaurs but until that (ever) happens
I'm not gonna have to see them.

Whatever program you use, once you kill ads online your whole internet
experience is improved.  Those rare times I have seen ads since I've started
blocking them, (like the ads we talked about at the top) I've actually felt
dirty.

Good luck!

-Jon