 Off-Topic / Debate / 15316
Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 09:09:00 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Inosanto writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Steve Runnels writes:
I thought Kevin was an admin of brickshelf, other than that I have no idea.

Kevin is the Owner, Maintainer, and Administrator of Brickshelf.

I'd be selling them too. :D
So would I, I just found it ironic that he was talking trash about bionice
(as well as the images) but he was selling them, and assuming he was making
money from them.

Why is that Ironic?  One doesn't have to like something to make money on it.
Fads are notorious for being big money makers for a short period of time.  Jon
obviously feels Bionicle is a fad, and wants to get a little extra money by
capitalizing on it.  I see nothing ironic or wrong about it.

How can you ignore that hideous, pixelated garbage?

Its easy. And your hideous, pixelated garbage is others treasure (not mine,
but thats not the point).

Perhaps, but I can't see how anyone looking at the Brickshelf Recent page can
see it as such.

Well, for one I don't check brickshelf anywhere near as often as I used to
knowing full well the only thing I'm going to see is junk drawn in MSPaint.
For another, anything good that actually gets posted is drown out by this
junk before anyone sees it.

Nothing is really drowned out, you just have to hit 'next' one or two times
more than you used to do.

I constitute that as being "drowned out."  Besides, when you check it less
often, you have even more pages to check.  I've had to go eight to ten pages at
times to get to stuff I've seen when I used to go two or three, and that was
checking once a day.  Now it is far more likely to wait a day or two longer,
which means even MORE pages I need to check.  When the number of pages you need
to check more than doubles, I'd certainly say the content is being drowned out.

He specifically said he has no problem with BIONICLE. It's those ugly and
useless "avatars" that are the problem.

No, he said he did have a problem with it and it was a passing fad.

However, he does see Bionicle MOCs as valid content.  What he has a problem
with is the Bionicle Avatar images that he feels are ugly and disruptive.
These images are only used on forums to give posters a "self-portrait," rather
than show off new and interesting building ideas or some such.

How does expressing his opinion make him immature?

There is nothing wrong with expressing your opinion (like I am doing) but
there is something wrong with saying basically 'I do not like them, so they
should be banned' there IS something wrong and immature about that.

Um, no.  Asking for a ban IS expressing an opinion.  If asking for a ban is
immature, isn't asking for something to NOT be banned, which is what you're
doing, just as immature?

Jeff