 Off-Topic / Debate / 15270
Re: We're all Anoraks on this bus (was Sadness
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 24 Dec 2001 03:42:52 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

Hence Anorak being used as a term to describe someone with a hobby which is perceived by others to be a bit obsessive,
and by their standards dull and boring.

Which is why I said it applies to us. NOT meant as an insult, I don't find
it as insulting a term as some of those in the UK do. (see thoughts on what
it means to be a hacker and the hacker trance, and some other topics, in the
jargon file... start here:
http://tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/hack-mode.html )

Every AFOL I know has at least a dozen different set numbers known to them
by heart (from their favorite theme perhaps. or sets that form a great
source of parts for their favorite theme). Every single one. Maybe not you,
LW, but every one I've met personally, on 3 continents. Many know way way
more. Joshua Delahunty for example seems to have 1/2 the inventories of sets
memorised (before there was a Peeron, HE was the Peeron!!!)

I just do NOT see anything wrong with that. But to deny us our anorakness is
to deny part of what we are. One can be obsessed and still have a life.

You can disagree if you like but if you do, *you're* in denial. Nothing
wrong with that, mind you, denial is a valid coping strategy.

Hope that helps.