 Off-Topic / Debate / 15289
Re: "MOC" Blacksmith Shop on lego.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Fri, 28 Dec 2001 14:43:33 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Allan Bedford writes:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Thomas Stangl writes:
Well, hate to burst your bubble... <snip>

Oh, Tom... I see that your reply ended up looking like you were responding
to Richie's comments instead of mine.  I wonder, were you using the web
interface to post?  I've found that when I go to reply through the web that
the message in improperly formatted right off the hop.  The person's name
(to whose message you are actually replying) ends up *without* the '>' quote
mark.  However, their comments end up *with* the quote mark.  This can be
very confusing if it's not manually corrected.

No, it's actually quite clear. As in the example above. ("I" am saying that
YOU wrote the stuff that is marked with ">" symbols and YOU are saying that
TOM wrote the stuff that is marked with ">>"  symbols.)

PLEASE DO NOT manually "correct" this. The internet standard is to do it
this way and if you change it by hand, you break it for most people. The web
interface, and the NNTP interface, and the mail interface are all working
correctly.

To repeat, attribution lines should have one *less* ">" than the quoted text
attributed by them. That's the standard. It is a good standard. Get used to
it. LUGNET is not broken in this area. Please don't fix it manually.

If you doubt me, you may want to do some research into RFCs.

FUT admin.nntp