 General / 34778
Re: for the eyes of Suz (Was Re: For the Eyes of Alfred Speredelozzi
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 23 Dec 2001 01:08:29 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Geordan Hankinson writes:

I still view LUGNET as the center of the lego universe, I come here
everyday, read lot's, but don't reply as much as I should, but that's beside
the point.

Whenever I see soemthing neat on BS, I almost always feel like asking Kevin
to give me their e-mail address (even though that's not possible) and making
them aware of LUGNET, and if they are already aware, and just nervous to
post or something, inviting them to come in and join the fun.

It could be that because I've only been posting here a year and a half, that
the 'kid in the candy store' mentality hasn't worn off yet, but even still,
I don't think it ever will.

I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one here that's been here a year or
two, that hasn't lost that 'kid in the candy store' mentality.

snip

Another reason maybe that if you were to put a kid in a candy store for a
few days, within a few hours the kid would get bored, because all of the
candy would be gone, or the kid would be feeling sick. LUGNET isn't really
like that I don't think, The 'candy store' so to speak is constantly being
refueled and rejuvenated, by the members and posters within it, I really
can't see how that could get 'boring' so to speak, this is my home online
basically, if you were to take LUGNET away from me, there would be a huge
chunk mssing inside, LUGNET is the center of the community, in my opinion,
if you took it away from me, I'd have e-mail contact with a few people
still, but no place to publicly show my models, and I can guarantee you that
without LUGNET, or someplace to just talk LEGO, I think I would enter a dark
age, (I don't even want to think about that)

mucho snipping

Bye,

-Geordan-

Lego is way better than candy!!

I'm new posting on lugnet, but I've been reading posts since I learned about
the site, about 1 1/2 yrs. ago.  I first saw Lego when I was about 4 or 5 yrs.
old (before I was in kindergarten.)  I was at a "daycare" for kids during
church so we wouldn't make too much noise to disrupt Mass.  I found several
2x2x1 bricks in different colors (red, yellow, blue, white, black--this was in
1977ish)& I was totally excited & "hooked on" the bricks.  I could not wait for
my parents to get out of Mass so I could show them my first MOC--a simple stack
of colored bricks! (Mom, Mom, I gotta get these!!!!) I did not have a dark age,
& I remember mentioning in high school that I was gonna have a Lego room in my
house; the teacher asked something to the effect of "what if your wife doesn't
like that idea/Lego?"--I said whoever "she" was wouldn't be my wife to begin
with!  In college (Clemson University-Architecture), one of our projects was to
make a carrying case for our modelling equipment/drafting pens, etc.--my case
was in the shape of a lego brick (but not made out of bricks in case I lost it
:-) .)  Anyways, I think Lugnet is the center of the Lego users community
especially because of this similar type of overall enthusiasm of the
community/site, & the enthusiasm will not be out-done by dissagreements--even
the people with disagreements choose to come here to share them!