 Administrative / General / 9884
Re: for the eyes of Suz (Was Re: For the Eyes of Alfred Speredelozzi
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 23 Dec 2001 11:31:16 GMT

Okay, I am just catching up on this reading now. First of all, I was
surprised by Tim's post for a few reasons. On one hand, I had no idea Tim
felt this way.
His opinion is pretty radical and different than any criticism I've heard
about LUGNET so far. But then - almost simultaneously - I realized that I
completely agree, and moreover, I've thought the same before. Tim put my
thoughts into words, and very eloquently.

More comments below:

In lugnet.admin.general, Tim Courtney writes:
<snip>
I think that if the admins keep acting like this, the people who really do
care will gradually drop off.  The shell of LUGNET that remains - the
discussion part of it at least, will be reminiscent of the silly web-based
forums where juvinile immaturity rule.  I've experienced those places, and
generally the people there don't care.

Yes, I think you're correct. It's too bad. I *liked* how LUGNET had people
(generally) watching their spelling, were (generally) keeping b-s-t posts
out of theme groups, and (generally) trying to share actual ideas and
creations. That's not to say it's not happening now, but I see a slow
deterioration. People don't care quite as much.

I also liked how there was a gentle balance between high-content posts (like
creations and ideas) and low-content ones, including jokes, random
discussions, personal news, etc. Lately it seems that too often that balance
is striking toward the latter. Of course it's fine in groups like .people
and .o-t, but I'm talking theme groups.
A lot of times creations tend to seem a bit thoughtless, posted just for the
point of posting. I'm not saying they are all the time. And I'm not saying
I've never done that (hell, my first creation was almost a community effort
because I posted every single tiny update!). Still and all - the air in the
community is different.

My naive, idealized view has faded now.  LUGNET is still a cool place, but
its not as cool as it could be.  I've watched the community climate mature
here, and I've watched others' attitudes change as well.

This used to be a great place to hang out and chat.  Some of that still
exists, but its not the same as it was.  Now, I use LUGNET to keep in
contact with a few friends, to catch the news, and to post my announcements.
I'm not giddy about it like I used to be, and I don't think that everything
in the LEGO universe should migrate to LUGNET anymore.

Right. Something has changed and I don't know what it is, or how to make it
better.

In regard to James's comments as well as the two Daves, I completely agree.
Please, Todd and Suz, let us take some weight off your shoulders. Tell us
what to do. There are plenty of us hankering to help; let us help...

* Let people be curators... every group needs curators, especially the large
ones!
* Let someone take care of CLSotW - both the voting mechanism *and* the
reviews. Try the rotation idea that was offered a long time ago - a few
different reviewers, each having a week in every 4 (or 5, or 8, or
whatever). So that it's not CLSotY (- year!).
* If you don't want to be the "last word" on newsgroup arguments, give
someone else the authority to be. Someone really neutral who doesn't fight
often. Who people respect. So that instead of "I'll only stop if Todd / Suz
say so," it'll be "..if John Doe says so." I won't volunteer anyone (they
might not want the job) but I can think of a few people who could do this...
LFB or James Brown just to name a couple.

Personally, I will gladly offer an hour or two, daily, to curate
lugnet.castle and/or lugnet.castle.org.cw. I can fit that in my schedule,
even with school, and I think two daily hours would be much more than
enough, once I got started. I would also gladly review a CLSotW once a month
(on the weekends, so I could get it published by Sunday). I'd even be fine
with handling the voting mechanism, if needed. Offering myself as the "final
authority" seems like a little self-complimenting <grin>, but if you decide
you want someone to do that and can't find anyone more suited than me, well
heck, I'd be willing to do that too.
Likewise with any other job that you might want. Just say the word, Suz,
Todd, please...

-Shiri