 Administrative / General / 9892
Re: for the eyes of Suz (Was Re: For the Eyes of Alfred Speredelozzi
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 31 Dec 2001 02:34:32 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Bert Waters writes:
Hi all,

   I am just another outside member of the community, contributing with
naive reflections and ignorant posts. I like to write and usually regret my
posts when they are ignored.
   In one respect though, I feel well versed, and that respect is in
building community. Discord is expected. Hurt feelings are common. Personal
growth is realized. When building community we see all of the community's
strengths and weaknesses. We have individual experiences that can draw
tighter bonds or alienate us further from the community.
   Being an outsider, a truly appreciative outsider, I respect and gladly
acknowledge the work of the stakeholders who have envisioned and created
LUGNET. I also understand thoughtful and abrasive personalities will
participate in the community. This is all part of the human condition. We
all grow from our experience and we all share the common bond of a whimsical
toy.

Hi Bert -
Thanks for the thoughtful comments.  You're right, there will be the same
social issues here as there are in any other community.  One of the things
that makes (made, because it doesn't seem to be happening now) LUGNET great
was the balance the administration provided in enforcing the TOS in certain
circumstances.  This is not a group of people interacting socially without
any boundaries - this is not USENET.  In order to make LUGNET a more
pleasant place, we need some ground rules, better yet, we need those rules
enforced.

The LEGO community is so great because all of us come from different
backgrounds, from all over the world.  Yet we come together to talk about
one thing which gives us joy.  We put aside our differences (sometimes those
differences are tremendous!) to talk about building with LEGO bricks, and to
even sometimes get togehter in person and share together.

The LEGO community wouldn't be what it is today without LUGNET.  If we had
only RTL, it would still be fragmented, and plagued by the trolls, auction
posts, and spam a USENET group gets.  But we've had the privilege (sp) of
this great place called LUGNET to grow and develop into something truly great.

LUGNET is now on autopilot.  The excellent service and care the admins gave
it at one time is gone.  We're left with a few well-meaning people who care
enough to post their concern here.  I hope LUGNET can continue the way it
was when the admins were active participants.

I'm sad (and a bit upset) that this thread hasn't gotten a reply from either
admin in the week and a half its been up.  Yep, its the holiday season, but
given my experience with both Todd and Suz, they're not away from a computer
or internet for this long.  I'm feeling let down, and a few others I've
talked to in private conversation are feeling let down too.

Please, Todd and Suzanne, give us the courtesy of a reply.  And not one that
says 'I don't want to be bothered with this' either.

-Tim