 General / 34779
Re: is lego at its best in years???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 23 Dec 2001 06:55:10 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Bradley Dale writes:
In lugnet.castle, Benjamin Medinets writes:
I remember going down the aisle of a toy section, most notably Toys R Us,
for example, and having very much difficulty buying a Lego set with my
"pocket" change.  Even the "little sets" had appeal.

Now if you want any good Lego set, you have to order it from Shop @ home.
That's the fact of life at the moment.
Look at the bright side, I don't have to waste my time going to a store, I
can spend a bit of time writing out an order, and sending it in...

...and paying shipping costs, and having you taxes raised by the conversion
rate (if you live in Canada), and never finding any really good sales, and
waiting a week for your new set.....

You are right...

however, I have live in Canada but my main source of income is from
American sources, and I happen to also have post office box in the
US.

So I don't have to worry about GST or conversion rates, however,
I do know people that it isn't the case, and would much rather see a return
of operations by Lego.

Personally, I don't think that will happen.  The poor exchange rate is to
discourage overseas imports from coming into Canada, while encouraging more
Canadian Exports, especially to USA.  Having Lego pull out "officially" out
of Canada is just a negative byproduct of this.

Town- nothing, unless you find old City Centre.  Which isn't Town at its • best.

Actually, you mean town at its worst... :)

I think 2000 City Centre, which is what you would find, is less juniorized than
the Town Jr. of 1997-1999.  I just bought two of those police monster truck
things, and they aren't really juniorized at all.

I would have to disagree with you on that point.  First, on the model in
question....6471 4WD police truck, whether or not the base is one piece,
it still has pre-printed front and no roof.

I don't have that set, and I find it unsettling for a police department to
drive around in monster trucks...I can picture them with a 4 X 4 S U V,
but not that!!!  (hint: bad example for your claim!!)

I would also like to point out that the Firefighters HQ, and lift truck,
and... the front scooper, and hiway construction, are all prime examples
of "blatant" juniorization!!  ... and just as guilty as the earlier
periods (1997-99).

And now that I think of it, Race is still around too.  And Soccer essentially
is Town.  Town is okay.

But look at it now.... for a couple years it was still looking normal.
2001 looked really aweful, but 2002 should return to a little bit better
except they only use the torso and head, and have a really bad piece for
the legs, but at least the wheels are nice...in cool colours too!!

Look at the bright side, (myself as a townie), there is the gas n wash
express which was approximately the same MSRP as when it first came out, with
almost the exact same pieces....may have a slight varience of mouldings, and
the box is probably substandard..., but the that is clearly "Town".

Yeah, I forgot about that one.  I wish I could afford it.

which is why I bought it the original off e-bay (from Germany)...sure the
postage was a little higher, and it is probably not in original box, but
at least it is the original set!!

Who knows what the rest of the year holds....we might see further "classic"
re-releases, "legend" re-releases, or "my own creation" releases....
that should be good....maybe a diner or two, a market place....
these should be good,

But almost certainly, these sets will be S@H exclusive.

but at least its better than paying any kind of money for the sets in
stores, which you might be able to use a few of the pieces the sets
come with (Starwars or HP sets notwithstanding),

and even then at a discount, you will still end up paying a high rate
of taxation!!! (PST and GST, in Canada).

or else, a few more castle sets on the market, which might end up in stores,
if Brad had his way!!!

Great!  Do you know anything more about these?

Well, all I know is what Brad said.  There were some sightings of the
sculptures in some of the stores, toys r us for example.  If the stores
want them, and depending on the set, certain ones deemed "exclusive" in the
past might find their way into the stores....but I guess we'll just have
to wait to see which ones!!

Space- nothing, unless Life on Mars is space.

Life on Mars is an off-shoot from Space Port, which is a subtheme of town.
To say LOM is an off-shoot of town is heretical....since it encompasses the
elements of town (the doctor, and the 2 adventurous space crew), plus some
"alien artifacts"  (the martians), and their mecha.....which caters to the
mecha fans of Lego, with a small, very slight dose of Space - LOM space
vehicles with exception to the Solar Explorer which is more closely related
to Town than Space...

It may be related to modern life, but the setting of LOM is definately not a
TOWN.

Oh, I quite agree.  I didn't say that the "theme" was supposed to be a
town....I'm just stating that were the "theme" was coming from.
The basis of the characters were from the earlier spaceport "theme".

Benjamin Medinets