 General / 34780
Re: is lego at its best in years???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 23 Dec 2001 07:35:11 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Bradley Dale writes:
In lugnet.castle, Benjamin Medinets writes:
I remember going down the aisle of a toy section, most notably Toys R Us,
for example, and having very much difficulty buying a Lego set with my
"pocket" change.  Even the "little sets" had appeal.

Now if you want any good Lego set, you have to order it from Shop @ home.
That's the fact of life at the moment.
Look at the bright side, I don't have to waste my time going to a store, I
can spend a bit of time writing out an order, and sending it in...

...and paying shipping costs, and having you taxes raised by the conversion
rate (if you live in Canada),

Just wanted to snag this bit... 7% is 7%, and the currency conversion
doesn't make it cost any more.

I'm not finding S@H burdensom.  If you compare prices, sure, we're paying
more at S@H, but it's all relative.  If you compare retail pricing (esp. at
our current dollar), Lego in Canada is typically cheaper.  6 of one, 1/2
dozen of the other.

However, I do agree that the retail availability of Lego in Canada has gone
to the dogs in the last year and a half.  *Every single retailer in
Edmonton* has less shelf space, less product depth, and less range of
offerings than it did this time last year.  Every single retailer.  :(

and never finding any really good sales, and
waiting a week for your new set.....

I haven't found any really good sales (except the SW combo packs) at retail
for about 2 years anyway.

Lately, I've gotten more bang for my buck by making less trips to the
stores, and doing large S@H orders.  Less parts for my $$, but better parts.
I'm willing to accept that compromise.  And with the pricing of sets like
the Blacksmith's shop, I don't even have to compromise.  Just wince at my
Visa bill. :)

YMMV.

James