 General / 34816
Re: is lego at its best in years???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 26 Dec 2001 22:05:34 GMT

In the long run, I think we will find that "S@H exclusive" works in • favour
of AFOLs.

But will it work in favor of the young LEGO fans who outnumber the adult
fans by an unknown, but significant factor?

Many kids have Lego, but how many of them are "fans" in the way adults are?
While many kids like Lego a lot, you could probably find another kind of toy
that would interest them just as much. However, I suspect most AFOLs are
rather more single-minded about their love of Lego.

Even in a kid is a Lego fan, they are still pretty limited by their
transport and financial options. Kids can't drive all over town in quest of
particular sets, and tend to be constrained by what Mum and Dad are prepared
to pay for. As a consequence, adults hunt down what they want, whereas kids
tend to pick the best available from the selection on the shelf in front of
them.

So, what does S@H mean for kids?

Well, the URL is advertised in all the Lego flubber and in the World Club
magazine. Most kids have access to the Internet through home, school or
libraries. I think a kid fan could easily find the Lego site and hence S@H.
But, of course, to buy from there, they will need their parent's
cooperation. Obviously Lego try to make that easy by providing wishlists
etc, but ultimately it depends on the parent's willingess to buy over the
Internet (in general) and their appreciation of their child's desire to
purchase something that isn't locally available (I am sure that many parents
would think Lego is Lego and there's plenty at the local toy store so why
bother with the Internet).

So I think the S@H situation is somewhat analogous to the kid who wants
their parents to drive across town to the better-stocked toy shop. It
depends on how much the parent appreciates their child's enthusiasm for
Lego.

Selling your best stuff ONLY through the internet is creating a void for
shoppers who won't (for whatever reason) buy online.  End result?  They • may
switch brands, or simply stop buying altogether.

In a few more years, I think almost everyone will buy online (not
exclusively, of course, but when it suits them). And then I doubt if Lego
(or most other companies) will care about those who don't. Does Lego send
around travelling salesmen to reach the people who live a long way from a
toy store today?

Also, "best" is a subjective judgement and not the issue. What Lego will
sell exclusively on-line is stuff they perceive to be "niche market".

This presumes that kids and adults always want
different types of sets.

I agree with you that their interests may well often coincide, but if Lego
think they don't, then I bet the "adults-only" products will be limited to
on-line distribution.

Kerry