 Castle / 11363
Re: is lego at its best in years???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2001 05:29:42 GMT

Brad....Brad....now, now.... things aren't that bad...

(I know where you are coming from!!)

In lugnet.castle, Bradley Dale writes:
In lugnet.castle, Daniel Ravenda writes:
well lego is now at its best ever theve never made had such a selection for
all themes

Go to a store right now.  There's practically no selection for any traditional
themes!  Things get a little better if you order directly from LEGO, but it
still doesn't compare to earlier years.

I remember going down the aisle of a toy section, most notably Toys R Us,
for example, and having very much difficulty buying a Lego set with my
"pocket" change.  Even the "little sets" had appeal.

Now if you want any good Lego set, you have to order it from Shop @ home.
That's the fact of life at the moment.
Look at the bright side, I don't have to waste my time going to a store, I
can spend a bit of time writing out an order, and sending it in...

Town- nothing, unless you find old City Centre.  Which isn't Town at its best.

Actually, you mean town at its worst... :)

Look at the bright side, (myself as a townie), there is the gas n wash
express which was approximately the same MSRP as when it first came out, with
almost the exact same pieces....may have a slight varience of mouldings, and
the box is probably substandard..., but the that is clearly "Town".

Who knows what the rest of the year holds....we might see further "classic"
re-releases, "legend" re-releases, or "my own creation" releases....
that should be good....maybe a diner or two, a market place....
these should be good,

or else, a few more castle sets on the market, which might end up in stores,
if Brad had his way!!!

Castle- nothing, unless you find old Knights Kingdom. Basically limited to S@H,
and even there they only make two sets.

Space- nothing, unless Life on Mars is space.

Life on Mars is an off-shoot from Space Port, which is a subtheme of town.
To say LOM is an off-shoot of town is heretical....since it encompasses the
elements of town (the doctor, and the 2 adventurous space crew), plus some
"alien artifacts"  (the martians), and their mecha.....which caters to the
mecha fans of Lego, with a small, very slight dose of Space - LOM space
vehicles with exception to the Solar Explorer which is more closely related
to Town than Space...

However, most of the Town Purists would say that Space Port, and LOM is a
real bad attempt at town in space.  The Launch Command Sets (circa 1995-6)
had a real nice launch site (6339) and some good accessories.  The only thing
I thought was innovative for Space Port was the Space Simulation Station.

Insectoids from S@H.

Pirates- nothing at all in most stores, nothing but rereleases at S@H.

Aquazone- nothing, though Alpha Team 2002 is an acceptable substitute.

Western- nothing at all in stores, nothing but rereleases at S@H.

and evan usefull stuff for other themes in different themes the
havent been this good since 1995 sales wise and cool stuff in 95 for castler
you could get black knight royal knights dragon masters wolfpak and what
ever is left on the shelf in like toys r us from the foresters in 96 it was
near as good with the relese of the dark foresters but they discontinued the
black knights big mistake should of given a year more but know there evan
better sales wise as of now in the relese of harry potter they were boomin

Harry Potter makes up for the discontinuing of Royal Knights, Black Knights,
Dragon Masters, Wolfpack, and Dark Forest?  You're crazy.

I think you are crazy....most Castle purists would highly disagree with those
statements.....Harry Potter (well the castle anyways).... is good for those
who have watched the movie, and such..... the set is a nice attempt at
the design of the castle from the movie, but lacks the walls and roof to
be a good castle design.

The series in general is pretty good, in my opinion, even though it is a
little pricey, and now virtually impossible to buy.  Look for some decent
after christmas-before inventory sales in the next upcoming weeks....

now with the relese of my own creatinthe returning legend pirate and wester
plus the first apha team and the new stars wars helps out castle collectors

I agree.  The Blacksmith House is going to be my first S@H purchase since they
stopped printing the catalogs in Canadian dollars.  (It will cost me $80 total,
not $40)

as well with new rare bricks and the new legos the new harry potter hels
castle as well with goblins trolls and rare bricks soccer fans get all new
feilds  to play on

that is pretty good with the sliding fields, except a real 9V motor would
have been better, even though it would have cost an additional $10, on
the goalie set.  (at least then I could use 2 train controllers to control
each goalie / automatic or at least semi-automated goalie controls!!!

Also, I think the new soccer uniforms look the same or even better than
in previous sets....

I still think North Americans got big-time screwed over, by not making the
World Cup Soccer sets available in North America....much better sets in
general, and certainly much better piece selections....

I have 2 Head Tribunes, a stadium security set, and a press box from the
World Cup Soccer line-up (shell promo) and they are some of the best lego
sets I own....stadium security set has to be one of the nicest sets, which
is as good as Jailbreak Joe....

Does the LEGO Soccer theme have any true fans?  It doesn't seem to ever be
discussed on this site.

I wouldn't call myself a die-hard lego soccer fan, but I do have enough
to call myself a valid enthusiast...I have 2 soccer busses, (1 with the
small soccer ball), the Championship Challenge, 3 Grand Stands, 4 Light
Stands, the Supersport Coverage, as well as the 4 World Cup sets mentioned
above.

I think what I have is a pretty nice soccer layout.....

die hard western and pirate fans get there theme back and

Only if they want to use S@H.  And I don't.

I think a few people are in this boat....plus $100 US for the
Fort Legoredo.  In 1996 it was $85 US(and that was considered a lot of
clams back then).  To the average Canadian, that means a price of $150,
for a sub-700 piece set.  That is too much, even for a nice set like
Fort Legoredo....

in kits too star wars fans can add on to the battle at endor tran fans get
the harry potter hogwarts express plus gringots bank tha has a small train
type transporter dino lovers get jurassic park 3 plus the dino theme car

I think Star Wars fans got slightly robbed in 2002...the sets overall
are pretty mediocre.  Fortunately, around the corner is a bunch of
Star Wars Episode II sets, so it may be a rebound...

I thought Jurassic Park III was the best movie of 2001, but those LEGO kits are
horrible.  They have very little resemblance to the actual movie.

I agree.  As "sets" the JPIII sets are pretty bad, but as parts, they are
pretty good.  The "vegitation" is pretty nice, and the pieces in general
can be very useful.  Though the price is excessive, as with most of the
studios line-up, best bet is to see if you can find a good sale, which
is impossible at this time of year......

What Dino theme car are you talking about?

dudes get the new drome to race around in for a wile

???

new trees make makeing mocs alot easy so that theres a tree variety the new
assorted roof tile helps castle town and others build houses easyer with
king leos castle and the rest of his theme avalible (i have it in the new
2002 book and no it dont say limeted quantites order now) makes castle
lovers get a last chance this year to pick up the castle artic  lets
explores explore the cold snow (great to play with out in the snow)

Arctic is still in production?  Why is it all but gone from stores?  I think
LS@H is trying to create a LEGO monopoly here...  :(

jonny
thunder lets dino fans give a shot at there own jurassic park studios lets
movie makers make there toys come to life on the big screen (dependin on
your monitors size)

But Johnny Thunder isn't a Jurassic Park character.  How would you feel if
Johnny Thunder was included in a Harry Potter or Star Wars kit?

and with the studios new monster releses they can add to the fun in castle
wold space fans finally get all out martions not like the aliend that were
sweet but the martians got it they also help castle lovers (man we get it
all in different themes)

I like Martians too, but what do they represent in Castle?

bionicle lets out a whole new adventure theme no
sets needed just play outside

That doesn't make any sense.  But if it did, it wouldn't be a good thing.

who cuold forget the train
lovers with not olny a new train set to work aroun they get the metroliner
backwith club car plusthe ultimate delux and special track kits.(on pg-53 in
the new 2002 shop at home theres a train statin type thing no price or
description of what it is but it could be an upcommin for the moc or tran
theme not sure but if some castle loves have trains in there kingdomes (i
dont) this could also be awsome

Again, this S@H monopoly thing is really worrying me!

it might be a foretelling of a new set....possibly a my own creation
in the works...it might just be some eye-candy though, make you drule
with what Lego designers can get for free and in parts they need....
:(  (who knows!!!)

Anyways.....as far as the monopoly goes, I think it has been said that
the majority of sales is still from the retail sector......not in the
direct market sales sector (shop @ home)....

though it does look like a giant set disparity.....all the good sets are
available from lego direct, through lego shop @ home, while the sets that
are "lacking" are found in the regular stores....

it is a shame....good sets should be available both in the store and in
the shop @ home segment, with no more than 3 to 5 % of the items being
"exclusive".

The good thing about all those good sets available, is at least Lego is making
some great sales.  Sure Bionicle, and Harry Potter sold well in the retail
sector, but I am sure that Lego Shop @ Home had some fine sales especially
by its Train Division (my own train, and Metroliner Legend), and the
Guarded Inn.

The rest of the year should be even better with a possible (re-)release
of other great sets....

2002 has the makings to be an awesome year.  Last year, I thought 2001 was
going to be a real aweful year, but summer legends series really took me
by surprise.  This christmas season, after just getting used to the concept
of the Legends series, Lego comes out with My Own Creation series....the
spark that I think a lot of enthusiasts will like.....

"classic styles, but "new" innovative designs.

I think this pretty well somes ups the new line, let's hope we don't have to
wait over a year to see another great set like the blacksmith shop!!!

Benjamin Medinets