 Off-Topic / Debate / 15301
Re: Eduardo is out of line (was: Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 20:49:39 GMT

Tim Courtney wrote:
I read the
Campus Speech Codes article you referenced and it seems dumb to me.

I think the story in the article shows how dumb the speech codes can be.
And he was right - preventing complete free speech on university campuses
denies the free expression of ideas higher education is all about.

While the trend in campus speech codes is disturbing, I don't think
universities need to allow complete free speech. Universities need to
provide an environment for education. If a person (or group of people)
is being abused by the speech of some, then something needs to be done.
I think it would be pretty hard for a woman to get a good education at a
university where every time they say something in class, a group of men
respond with derogatory comments.

Frank