 Administrative / General / 9867
Re: Eduardo is out of line (was: Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 05:07:18 GMT

"Mark Sandlin" <sandlin@nwlink.com> wrote in message
In article <Goo9G1.2p8@lugnet.com>, "Tim Courtney" <tim@zacktron.com>
wrote:

I think he should be repirmanded as well - only for swearing though. • His
response was very distasteful and out of line, though I don't think he • can
or should be punished for an opinion about homosexuals.  Sure, its an
umpopular opinion among educated people (which I'd assume is most of
LUGNET), but no one should be reprimanded for simply expressing an • opinion

Really? What if I were to use the "N" word? It's just an opinion, right?

So you can justify punishing someone for an opinion?

I wouldn't approve of any racial slur being used, but that doesn't mean I
would want to see it banned.  There's a difference I think between making
something socially unacceptable and disallowing it by a mandate.

I'm sure racist or religious slurs wouldn't go over well, and likewise,
neither should slurs about someone's sexual orientation. It's all hate
speech

<sarcasm>
Then I guess we should impose formal speech codes here.  Strip away the
ability to express an opinion, because heck, opinions are offensive.  No one
can get hurt.  Lets be happy and live in a padded world together.  LUGNET
Newspeak, enforced by the LUGNET Thought Police.
</sarcasm>

-Tim