 Off-Topic / Debate / 15213
Re: Is Eduardo is out of line? (was: Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 04:49:46 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, William R. Ward writes:
"David \"Fuzzy\" Gregory" <david.gregory@student.oc.edu> writes:
I do object to the swearing, but I agree that people should not make LEGO
minifigs into gay characters.  Anyway, just because someone doesn't like gay
minifigs doesn't mean that they're homophobic.  Instead of homophobia, they
could be homoodious (hating homosexuality instead of fearing it).  Please
remember that just because someone doesn't like something, doesn't mean that
they're scared of it.

It's called "homophobia" because bigotry is fear-based.  Hating
homosexuals is just as wrong as hating black people or Jews.

XFUT: lugnet.off-topic.debate

--Bill.

Hmmm... in my dictionary it doesn't say that fear has anything at all to do
with bigotry, but rather narrow-mindedness.  More specifically, anyone who
refuses to see "the big picture" is a bigot.  Maybe your dictionary says
something different?

Also, I think "hate" applied as a negative moral is a purely religious
doctrine.  I hate onions... so much so that I won't even kiss my wife for
several hours after she has eaten some.  Does this make me immoral?  I
hardly think so. However, if you apply religion to "hate", then the very act
of hating *anything* is immoral.  I also hate people who practice sexual
*relations* with animals... or adults who molest children...

Perhaps you are suggesting that it is ok to hate some things and not others?
Maybe you could clarify?